1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help please

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by smad, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smad

smad Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    Today when I opened my cpu I got two <execution of the specified command has failed> dialogs Then my mIRC opens up. So I click ok and ok and I close mIRC and everything is fine. Now each time I log on it does this. Why? I have norton 2003 updated.. And also while I was on the net windows update started so I clicked install the updates.. after like 20 mins. I finished and now when I go to add or remove programs, i have like 15x WINDOWS XP HotFix (SP1) (See Q3xxxxxxx) for more information and like 5x Windows Xp Hotfix Qbbxxxxx
    Whats that? I deleted 2 of them one was SP2 I think but theres a lot remaining whats that? Did live update failed or what? Also, yesterday I had 70GB free. Now I have 65 ( Ihavent installed anything). When I select all the files and click properties it tells me that the files are 2,7gb approx. So why did I lose 5gb?? My HD is 80 GB maxtor. How can I lose 5gb in a day whitout installing anything? Should I run windows update?
    My cpu is an athlon Xp 2000, 512mb ram, Geforce2 64mb, maxtor 80gb and one of 20gb(where I store my files)

Please help me!
    Thanks a lot

2. Chaos_lord

Chaos_lord

About the first problem: press Start>Run and type msconfig, then go to the Startup tab and try to identify any command that shouldn't be there and uncheck it.
    about the second problem: this is normal, assuming that the xxxxxx after the Q3 are numbers and not really letters X. These are the updates installed from Microsoft and from there ytou can unistall them if you wish.
    about the loss of space: there are system hidden folders; they are different from hidden folders so you won't see them even if "show all files and folders" under View is enabled. In these folders Windows stores system info such as system restore data and so on. To check them click Star>Control panel>folder options and go to the tab View; find the "Show hidden files and folders" and turn it on, then find "Hide protected operating system files" (it's the second row down from Show hidden files and....) and uncheck it; give Yes to the warning, give OK. Now go to Eplorer and find folders that are semi-transparent, usually called Recycler (that's for the Recycle bin) and System Volume Information (these are for the mentioned data) and check if its size matches the missing space.
    I prefer turning the System Restore on my D: and E: drives off so that the system never eats up space on them and it doesn't make any harm since I only install programs on my system volume that is C: . I'm not sure if this could be harmful for the system, but untill now it worked fine for me, so you may try to turn System Restore off on drives that you are sure won't need deep system recovery. Hope all this help you!

3. smad

smad Thread Starter

Thank you a lot chaos_lord, but please answer these question too..

I did what you told me for the hidden files and it takes around 3,8Gb (for all the harddisk) and my disk is 82 GB detected at 76,6gb by windows. Anyways it show my HDD as 65GB. Theres something odd because yesterday I deleted a program, forgot what one and it came back to 72gb but now its back to 65GB. I did disk cleanup, recyble bin, etc but its still showing at 65GB? Can you help me with this ?
    Also, for the starting window that I told you, heres what in my Startup. Could you please tell me what to remove because I dont want to click something that would mess my cpu. But I tried to boot in Diagnostic mode and It worked.. but anyway heres the list .. what should I remove..

SVCHELP C:\windows\system32\txp\svchelp.exe
    jusched c:\program files\java\j2re1.4.2_02\bin\jusched.exe
    secured c:\windows\system32\spool\printers\hidden32.exe c:\windows\system32\spool\printers\secured.bat

nwiz nwiz.exe /install (i tried unclicking this one didnt do anything)

NVCPL RUNDLL32.exe c:\windows\system32\nvcpl.dll,Nvstartup

Nerocheck c:\windows\system32\nerocheck.exe
    ccregvfy ''C:\program files\common files\symantec shared\ccRegVFY.exe

ccApp ''C:\program files\common files\symantec shared\ccapp.exe

ADVCHK c:\progra~1\norton~1\advtools\advchk.exe
    msnmsger.. (msn messenger)
    ctfmon c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe

Please help me with this...
    Thanks a lot

4. Chaos_lord

Chaos_lord

Well, the only startup items that I can tell you for sure that you don't explicitly need is the "Nerocheck c:\windows\system32\nerocheck.exe".
    -The nwiz is the NVidia's Detonator Driver accesory that is not something critical so you can click it off too, and the
    NVCPL is needed only if you want to load specific color correction scheme at startup (this is contrast/bightness/gamma customized from your video adapter properties page).
    -The Symantec related items are components of your Norton Antivirus as well as the ADVCHK; I guess one of them is your Real Time Scanner, the other is Updater, however I can't tell ye for sure since I'm not using Norton AV, so you better leave them unless someone here give you more info that some of them is not crirical for the AV to run.
    -The msnmessenger is the Microsoft Messenger, if you don't use it, turn it off, but I think it regenerates itself so open it from the System Tray, find options and find "allow to run in background" and "load on startup" or something like that and shut them both off; please note that the commands may vary since I'm speaking from memories-I have it disabled.
    -About the ctfmon is more tricky... you'd better check these out:
    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/6509/ and
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282599 and decide for yourself; it's really related to the language service so if you kill the process, your language bar goes bye-bye. Check
    the URLs and decide for yourself.
    -About the rest three items, I can't tell you nothing for sure, but you hardly could screw your PC up by turning something from the msconfig off, so backup your system through system restore (just in case) and check what happens when turn this items off.
    One more thing, right to the Startup tab in the msconfig there's a Services tab, go to it,check Hide all Microsoft services, then turn OFF the NVidia Driver Helper Service - trust me, you don't need this.
    And about that disk space problem... I can't tell you much more ... My own hdd is only 40 Gb and I can't tell you nothing specific about your 80 Gb monster ;) i mean, maybe the biggersize of the HDD, the harder for Win to calculate the space, although it can use it, but as far as I understand, Windows reports wrongfuly your HDD size, yes? 65Gb instead of 76? How do you check your HDD size? the system management console? Is the HDD partitioned?

5. smad

smad Thread Starter

Thanks a lot bro you are really helpful.. as for the problems with my HDD detecting 65 instead of 74.. I think it was because I got a IRC trojan/worm which I took care of.. it was FireDaemon.exe service (RPC worm)

Thanks a lot buddy

6. Chaos_lord

Chaos_lord

No problem. And that sounds fine! I'm glad It's all OK now :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice