1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help...please.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kerf33, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kerf33

kerf33 Thread Starter

I am having trouble with my computer. Every time I start it up or try to bring it out of hibernation, it takes almost a half hour to start. Once it does start up everything runs just fine. It also has no trouble shutting done, the problem is just with the initial start-up. I will press the button to turn my computer on and the lights will come on but it takes forever for my password screen to pop up. I have been searching for possible solutions but have not found anything that helps. Here are a few things that i tried:
    1- Deactivated a bunch of the programs that start-up when by computer starts up.
    2- Ran a virus check (no viruses were found)
    3- Ran CCLeaner
    4- Ran Bootvis
    5- Ran Adaware
    None of these things helped at all. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. patrikspongh40

patrikspongh40

You seem to be doing all the right things. How's your RAM?? What OS do you have?

3. kerf33

kerf33 Thread Starter

I have XP, and I am only using 16.8 GB of 132GB

4. patrikspongh40

patrikspongh40

Have you gone into help and support, you can troubleshoot your startup and shutdown issues there. Let me get this strait you only have 132GB of RAM and your using 16.8?? Is that correct?

5. kerf33

kerf33 Thread Starter

No I have not gone into help and support yet. I checked to see how much of my hard drive was available and that is what it said.

6. kerf33

kerf33 Thread Starter

Im sorry, I just looked again and the 132GB is what is available.

7. patrikspongh40

patrikspongh40

Okay so go to Help and Support in your windows, troubleshoot your startup and shutdown issues there. You really need RAM go to www.4allmemory.com put in your computer make model etc. find out what you need for RAM. Good Luck!!

8. kerf33

kerf33 Thread Starter

I did some more searching and it is saying I have 1.00 GB of RAM. I don't know if that is the same as the free space that I have available in my hard drive. I know a little about computers but apparently as much as I need. Tank you very much for your help. I will take your advice and go to help and support. Thanks again.

9. patrikspongh40

patrikspongh40

If you have 1 GB you should be good, but you should find out if you need to upgrade by going to the website I posted previously. Hardrive space is different of course. Go to start, my computer, then Local Disk (C:) right click and got to properties it tells you what you have for free space.

10. kerf33

kerf33 Thread Starter

will do...thanks again I appreciate the advice.

11. kerf33

kerf33 Thread Starter

I ran the start-up and shut-down troubleshoot but it find anything that was wrong. Do you happen to have any other ideas I can try?

12. patrikspongh40

patrikspongh40

You went to run, msconfig and unchecked the startup items?? Right? What's in the right, bottom of your taskbar??

13. patrikspongh40

patrikspongh40

14. kerf33

kerf33 Thread Starter

Yes I did, I unchecked everything that was checked. The only things on my taskbar are my internet connection, volume, and two computers which say "local area connection. A network cable is unplugged".

15. patrikspongh40

patrikspongh40

Try looking @ the link I sent you, see what happens then...............

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice