1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help quick!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Selecta!, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Selecta!

Selecta! Thread Starter

Right, i would appreciate anyones help on this (got about 14hrs to fix it and im going to be in bed for 8 of them!):

My computer got infected by a virus which was detected by my anti-virus and subsequently removed 330 .exe files from my computer which were infected. I can probably locate around 50 of the files and replace them with non infected versions. The rest I haven't got a clue about.

Basically with the computer being so new I would have found it easier to format at it and reload XP and any other software but this doesn't seem to be going well. First of all, being used to setting up 98 systems I cant get the XP computer to create a suitable boot disk in order to format the computer. I just end up with an MS-DOS boot disk which only gives me the A:\ drive but no C:\ (invalid drive specification error). So I have tried downloading a boot disk from Bootdisk.com but still cant get C: to work.

I need to format the computer in order to start from scratch as there are so many errors when I boot up XP that I find it difficult to do anything.

I've copied all personal files to disk and just need to be able to format the bloody thing!

Can anyone help?

2. esdxc37

esdxc37

goto start>accessories>msdos prompt
    in the black screen with the flashing dash type sfc/scannow
    make sure your xp disk is in the cd
    that will replace all your system files that are damaged

3. Flrman1

Flrman1

4. Flrman1

Flrman1

And Welcome to TSG Selecta! :)

5. Selecta!

Selecta! Thread Starter

Many thanks to those who've helped, now I've got another problem though:

During the loading of some programs I get:

"The instruction at "0x77f83907" referenced memory at "0x009a4e2c". The memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program

What does this mean? It seems to stop me from doing anything!

Any help would be appreciated

6. Selecta!

Selecta! Thread Starter

The antivirus program that found the virus wont let me delete Unist.exe which is infected. Where can I get a replacement version from? I cant get it off the XP CD (it doesn't replace it when following the above methods)

Thanks

7. buck52

buck52 Banned

Not sure why you need to delete anything if you are doing a format from a good XP CD

buck

8. Selecta!

Selecta! Thread Starter

Sorry I meant using the sfc/scannow method

9. Flrman1

Flrman1

If you are going to reformat, running sfc /scannow is pointless! :confused:

10. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Hi Selecta What anti virus program are you using and has it been updated lately ?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice