1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help regarding video(Graphic) card...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bharath012, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bharath012

Bharath012 Thread Starter

So i'm planning on buying a new video card, my old graphic Card just broke down, it was GeForce 8400 SE(DDR2)... So now i'm planning on buying DDR3 Video Card...

1. Does DDR2 and DDR3 video card has the same slot?
    2. Can i install DDR3 video Card to my motherboard Which used to Run on DDR2 video card..?

I know that DDR 2 and DDR 3 RAM has Different slots, does DDR2 and DDR3 video Card have the same slots or Different slot?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    DDR2 and DDR3 has nothing to do with what type of slot a video card is inserted in.

Does your computer have a PCI or AGP or PCI Express slot for inserting a video card?

What's the brand name, model name, and model number of your computer?

What's the description of the motherboard?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

3. catlady13

catlady13

The ram on the video card has nothing to do with the slot it fits into on the motherboard or the ram on the computer. You need to find out if your motherboard supports a video agp slot, a pci slot or a pcie slot. Pcie would be the preferred slot.
    If you don't know what kind of slot you have please give us the make and model of your motherboard or if you have a brand name computer please give us the make and model and someone will try to find out for you.

4. catlady13

catlady13

LOL you beat me Flavallee.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Talk about being on the same wave length. :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Bharath012

I think i have PCIE slot, don't know correctly......
    My motherboard is ASUS P5KPL AM/PS...
    Will DDR3 video card comes for PCIE slot?

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS motherboard.

According to its specifications section, it has a PCI Express x16 slot for adding a video card.

From what I can tell, it'll accept both DDR2 and DDR3 models.

Be careful that you don't upgrade to a more powerful video card than the power supply can handle.

-------------------------------------------------------------

8. Bharath012

Thanks Flavalle...
    How do i find out about my Power supplies Specification about handling Video Card...
    Even if do buy a video that my power supply can't handle, all i have to do is buy a power supply that can handle my video card right...?

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    There's no sense in buying and installing a video card without first making sure the power supply can handle it.

If you install a video card that the power supply can't handle, either the computer won't start up at all - or - the computer will start up, but the monitor won't.

If you open the case and look at the label on the power supply, it'll have the brand name and model name and wattage rating.

Are you planning to get a video card with a heat sink or a cooling fan?

Are you planning to get one with 256 MB, 512 MB, or 1 GB of video memory?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

10. Bharath012

Ok one last question,after seeing my wattage of my power supply, how to find out that how much power that video Card need to run without problems, It will be not mentioned in the Video Card box...
    Do i have to find out about it online....

i know it depends upon Video Cards models, different models use different power requirements...

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The system requirements(including the power supply wattage) should be on the box or at the support site for the video card.

You haven't advised what you're looking for in a video card and if you intend to use your computer for gaming - which is all going to have a bearing on the power supply.

Does your current video card have a heat sink or a cooling fan, and how much video memory does it have?

By the way, you haven't even mentioned if you're using Windows XP or Vista or 7.

--------------------------------------------------------------

12. Bharath012

Yes i do play a lot of games, that's why i need a good video Card, yes my video Card have a cooling fan on it....
    Video Memory is 512 MB....
    This time i'm planning on buying a 1GB video Card, i'm looking to buy video card of NVIDIA Series...
    Any suggestions on which video card should i buy...?

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm not a gamer, so I can't advise you what video card to buy.

If you prefer NVIDIA, here are 3 - 1 GB models at the NEWEGG site. If you scroll down to the system requirements, you'll see the power supply wattage and rating requirements.

If you're a gamer, hopefully you already have that computer maxed out to its supported amount of 4 GB of DDR2 RAM.

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/compatible-memory-for/ASUS/P5KPL-AM/PS/list.html

http://www.memorystock.com/ram/ASUSP5KPLAMPSMotherboardDDR2667MHzRAM.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

14. Bharath012

Thanks for your information n thanks for the links also,...
    No i don't have 4 gb ddr2 Ram.. I'm thinking on upgrading my RAM also..
    Currently i use 2 GB DDR2 RAM....

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What is the make, model, and wattage of your power supply?

If you are into gaming you'll want some better than Geforce 8400GS or its newer replacements. Whats your budget? What games do you play?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1000507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice