1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help reinstalling WindowsME

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by elvis @ cape, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elvis @ cape

elvis @ cape Thread Starter

Was wondering if anyone could assist me in reinstalling windowsME. I have tried using the restoration disk #2 and it automatically restarts the computer, but then nothing. It should auto run a wizard, or uninstaller, but it isn't. Any ideas?

Elvis

2. 911

Windows ME Restoration Disk allows 3 options: Install over ME, Erase ME and Reinstall, and Erase everything and re-install. Which one have you chosen, and what happens ?

3. elvis @ cape

I'd like to wipe out everything, and then put ME back on, fresh and new. But the menu hat comes up from disk #2 for doing this has me click a restart button, and tells me to follow directions that will come up after the restart. Nothing comes up, however, after the restart.

Thanks,
    Elvis

4. 911

Each computer manufacturer makes it's own version of Restoration disks. Mine is Gateway, and I had to use it last week. It does require restart, but it did resume the restoration process after the restart. What brand and model computer are you using ? Maybe someone familiar with it can help you.

5. elvis @ cape

Its a Gateway purchased new in late 2001. I have the system restoration kit disks 1, 2, and 3. On disk #2 is says it has "Operating system restoration program". I believe that it probably does, it just doesn't automatically start after reboot.

Elvis

6. 911

Have you read the manual section "Reinstalling Windows" ? The instructions in my manual are to place Disc 2 in the CD drive and restart your computer. The Gateway System Restoration Startup Menu opens.

I had to try it several times to get it all done, but it always did start running after the restart. (IF NOT: Click start then select RUN . In the open text box, type D:\RUNMENU.EXE (where D is the drive letter of the CD drive), Then click OK.

If it does not work, all I can suggest at this point is that you contact Gateway Support. They do have on-line 'chat' with a technician, and Email support, and if I remember correctly they have phone support as well.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!