Need help reinstalling WindowsME

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

elvis @ cape

Was wondering if anyone could assist me in reinstalling windowsME. I have tried using the restoration disk #2 and it automatically restarts the computer, but then nothing. It should auto run a wizard, or uninstaller, but it isn't. Any ideas?

Elvis

Windows ME Restoration Disk allows 3 options: Install over ME, Erase ME and Reinstall, and Erase everything and re-install. Which one have you chosen, and what happens ?

elvis @ cape

I'd like to wipe out everything, and then put ME back on, fresh and new. But the menu hat comes up from disk #2 for doing this has me click a restart button, and tells me to follow directions that will come up after the restart. Nothing comes up, however, after the restart.

Thanks,
Elvis

Each computer manufacturer makes it's own version of Restoration disks. Mine is Gateway, and I had to use it last week. It does require restart, but it did resume the restoration process after the restart. What brand and model computer are you using ? Maybe someone familiar with it can help you.

elvis @ cape

Its a Gateway purchased new in late 2001. I have the system restoration kit disks 1, 2, and 3. On disk #2 is says it has "Operating system restoration program". I believe that it probably does, it just doesn't automatically start after reboot.

Elvis

Have you read the manual section "Reinstalling Windows" ? The instructions in my manual are to place Disc 2 in the CD drive and restart your computer. The Gateway System Restoration Startup Menu opens.

I had to try it several times to get it all done, but it always did start running after the restart. (IF NOT: Click start then select RUN . In the open text box, type D:\RUNMENU.EXE (where D is the drive letter of the CD drive), Then click OK.

If it does not work, all I can suggest at this point is that you contact Gateway Support. They do have on-line 'chat' with a technician, and Email support, and if I remember correctly they have phone support as well.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online