1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help Removing LNK icons from desktop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by boyletammy, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boyletammy

boyletammy Thread Starter

Some of my icons on my desk top have turned into LNK and i cant open them i need help fixing this PLEASE

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Welcome to TSG I have removed your email address from your post. You should not post your email address as the only thin you'll get is spam, all answers will be posted on this forum for you to view safely.

3. boyletammy

boyletammy Thread Starter

will i be notified if there are replys through my email?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Depends on the option you have set for subscriptions. The default is to get email notification of replies. Sometimes it fails or is tardy, so my advice to anybody really interested in his/her thread is to check it for replies.

EDIT: At least, I think that's the default. It's been so many years ago that I turned it off that I don't really remember. )

5. CowboyPete

CowboyPete

I just experienced the same problem. Has anyone found a remedy?

Thanks

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Actually, most of the icons on the Desktop should be .LNK; that's the file extension for a Shortcut (Link) file. The Extension is normally set so it never shows, even when the system is set to not hide file extensions. I suspect the NeverShowExt registry entry is missing or corrupted. And if they no longer work, there may be other pieces that are missing or corrupted.

Go here:
    File association fixes for Windows 7
    and download the fix for LNK files.
    To extract the file from the ZIP archive, double click on the downloaded file to open it, then drag the .reg file to your desktop.
    Double click it to merge into the registry.

See if that gets them working, and not showing the LNK extension.

7. CowboyPete

CowboyPete

YOU DID IT! Many thanks. At first I wasn't certain if it worked because the Icons on the desktop and taskbar still looked the same (representations of Photo Viewer) but when I clicked on them, they actually opened up into the proper applications instead of just opening up Photo Viewer. I rebooted the computer, and to my delight all the Icons were displayed appropriately. Thanks a million. I was afraid I'd have to resort to a Factory Restore.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919816

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice