1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help repairing Win XP comp from corruption

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xITmasterx, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xITmasterx

xITmasterx Thread Starter

In my other forum, I have said that I have accidentally removed the plug of the computer while it performed chkdsk /r, which resulted in a looping BSOD boot error.

Then I have tried to fix it using resources from the comp like using EasyRE recovery disc for win xp and used automated repair, but to no avail, thus making it even worse, with the nvrtkrnl.exe (not sure what was the exact name of it) now corrupted, and then it won't even boot the boot selection screen, and the advanced options for the boot win xp.

Then I tried using the Setup disc using my flash drive (burned to boot), but when the setup launches windows, it created another BSOD.

Now running out of options, I kinda need profesional help in this one, since I'm just a novice in this types of stuff (even thoug I read a book that was meant to help IT people prepare themselves for a certification exam).

I'm open to all options, and thanks in advance,

2. Sponsor

3. PopinArt

PopinArt Account Closed

This can be beyond repair.
    Try a clean install of XP by formatting all your hard drives.
    If the XP OS installation crashes you can use some data sanitization software like DBAN to securely delete ALL your files.

But first try a clean install of XP using the slow format option.Delete all your partitions.

4. PopinArt

PopinArt Account Closed

You tried using the XP installation disc?
    What problem occurred?

I will guide you through DBAN if you need it. Don't do it yourself.

5. PopinArt

PopinArt Account Closed

ntoskrnl.exe?

6. xITmasterx

yes, its nvrtkrnl.exe

I have tried the disc without formatting, the setup failed to launch, caused BSOD.

And what is DBAN and how to do it?

7. PopinArt

PopinArt Account Closed

At what point did it fail?

There is nothing as nvrtkrnl.exe.It should be ntoskrnl.exe. And if it is ntoskrnl.exe, there can be hardware related damages to your computer.

Can you run a hardware diagnostics?
    First you should run a hardware diagnostic to check if all hardware are okay.
    The diagnostic menu should open during power on.Usually it is the Esc/Del/Function key. It may differ with model.You need to check online or in manual.

DBAN is a data sanitization software that securely erases EVERYTHING in the hard drive by using a Wipe Method used by the US DoD.Data deleted by DBAN is practically unrecoverable with any software unless you have lot of brains, money and time. So it should be your last resort.

If the hardware diagnostics(which you must do before proceeding further) reports no error and if you cannot use any OS Setup Disc then DBAN will be your best bet. Note DBAN is not for SSD Drives.

Follow exactly as written.

1. Download DBAN(Darik's Boot and Nuke). The file is in .iso. So burn it to a CD or USB using some burning tools.
    Link
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/files/dban/dban-2.3.0/dban-2.3.0_i586.iso/download
    If you don't know how to burn:
    USB(RUFUS)
    https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-burn-an-iso-file-to-a-usb-drive-2619270
    CD/DVD(PowerISO)
    https://www.poweriso.com/tutorials/make-bootable-cd.htm
    2. Insert the media in the pc.
    3. Go to the BIOS settings and Select Boot from CD/DVD or USB.You may need to change the Boot order to do this.
    4. The system will restart and DBAN will load.
    5. Remove any extra storage devices plugged in.
    6. Select autonuke to wipe EVERY drive or select Enter to manually wipe each drive. Note. You must wipe all your partitions.
    7. Keep to default settings. 3 pass,1 round DoD Short Pass etc.
    8. Let DBAN finish. It may take a very long time depending on settings and amount of data in your HDD.
    9. After completion, insert XP setup disc and use the slow format option to install XP.

For SSD Drive a similar secure erase option is to use the manufacturer's drive wiping tool included with every SSD. I never used SSD but I think it will be located at the same place where you would find the Hardware Diagnostics.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  8. xITmasterx

It's a PC running a AMD Athlon (need to check the specs more) in a T series motherboard, I'll give ya more info right after I check the specs later. No Windows XP recovery disc however, nor the setup, only got the flash drive with the image of the OS and third party recovery software. It had a history of multiple crashes and fixups, though this time, it's the software's fault due to the fact that the PC still runs perfectly before I accidentally pulled the plug.

9. PopinArt

PopinArt Account Closed

Never did a clean install with a system image. I think after using DBAN you cannot use sytem image to install a fresh copy of XP.

10. PopinArt

PopinArt Account Closed

Does your PC have a inbuilt recovery partition?
    You can access it during power on to format and re install.

11. xITmasterx

How to do that, exactly?

12. PopinArt

PopinArt Account Closed

You have to press the Del/Function key/Esc to go to the Startup menu during power on. The key will vary with model/manufacturer.You need to search the manual or online.

If you have an inbuilt recovery partition(generally laptops have) you can perform a clean install of the os.

13. xITmasterx

Here are the specs of my computer:
    Motherboard: T-series Biostar (Bios version A78XB-A2T)
    CPU: AMD Sempron Processor 3000+ (1.6GHz)
    RAM: 2GB
    AMI BIOS v. 08.00.14
    System Memory 1,024MB

Error 1 one booting properly: Could not start because of a computer disk hardware config problem.
    Could not read boot disk.
    Error 2 when using setup:
    BSOD
    stop 0x0000007B (0xF7C7A524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Hope you could find the solution of this thing.

14. xITmasterx

Error 3 after repairing using EasyRE recovery disk for windows xp:
    Windows could not boot up because the following file is either corrupted or deleted: ntoskrnl.exe
    Please reinstall or use the recovery disc to fix this issue. (or somewhere in the lines of that)

15. PopinArt

PopinArt Account Closed

You need the recovery disk or the setup disc. Without it not much can be done. Did you check for the recovery partition?

16. xITmasterx

Just did, there is an empty partition in the hard drive, is that it?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1204870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice