1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help Repinning Front Panel Molex

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KaponE, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KaponE

KaponE Thread Starter

Hi, All

I have a Acer AM3641-ED7200A that I switched out a motherboard in. All is fine, except for the front panel header(s). The case has a 7x2 Molex connector, and my new board (MSI G41M4) has two (JFP1 = 5x2, JFP2 = 4x2). Can anyone tell me how to repin the connector to make it work? I'd appreciate it.

Acer Diagrams: http://www.acersupport.com/acerpana...als/S.G_Aspire_M5640_M3640M1640_BOOK_VerC.pdf

MSI Diagrams: http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloadfile&dno=8876&type=manual

Thanks,

Scottie - McKinleyville, CA

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

You are going to have to trace your front panel connections individually. JFP1 is a standard Intel header for these front panel connections; HDD LED, POWER LED, POWER SWITCH and RESET SWITCH.

After you unpin from the Acer proprietary connector and separate all the wires you would need either four 1x2 molex kk connectors or better yet one 2x5 molex kk connector. I repin most of the machines I build since most chassis come with 1x2 connectors for the HDD LED, POWER LED, POWER SWITCH and RESET SWITCH to a single 2x5 connector and put a blocker in position #10 so the connector can only be plugged in one way. Pin #9 is unused.

Pins 6 & 8 (POWER SWITCH) and pins 5 & 7 (RESET SWITCH) are not polarity specific. Pins 2 & 4 (POWER LED) and pins 1 & 3 (HDD LED) are polarity specific. If the POWER or HDD LED wires are reversed the LEDs simply won't work and you have to reverse the wire position in the molex kk shell so they will illuminate properly.

You can make the connector using a 2x4 molex kk connector, however if you use a 2x4 connector someone later could turn the connector around and plug it in backwards, so I recommend using a 2x5 connector with a position #10 blocker.

3. KaponE

KaponE Thread Starter

Yes, this I know. My question is.....can you 'decode' the wiring diagram from the Acer case connector so that I know which position to put the wires in a 2x5? Also, can I just ignore the JFP2? Looks to me that all that is good for is POST beeps.

I've provided both docs from Acer and MSI to make it easier for you to help me. Thanks!

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Apparently you missed the 1st paragraph I wrote in post #2, i.e. You are going to have to trace your front panel connections individually. JFP1 is a standard Intel header for these front panel connections; HDD LED, POWER LED, POWER SWITCH and RESET SWITCH.

Remove all the wires from the Acer 7x2 molex kk connector shell. Do you know how to remove the wires from the shell without damaging the female pins in the shell?

After the wires are removed from the Acer connector you are going to have to trace the wires to the front panel components, i.e. HDD LED (Activity LED), POWER LED, POWER ON SWITCH and RESET SWITCH. It will probably be easier for you to repin if you use four 1x2 kk shells rather than a 2x5 connector shell.

On the MSI front panel header the HDD LED (Activity LED) connects to pins 1 & 3, The RESET SWITCH connects to pins 5 & 7, the POWER LED connects to pins 2 & 4 and the POWER SWITCH connects to pins 6 & 8, the MSI front panel diagram is self explanatory.

As I previously stated the POWER ON switch and the RESET SWITCH wires are not polarity specific. The HDD LED (Activity LED) and the POWER LED are polarity specific. As long as you have the POWER ON switch wires on pins 6 & 8 and the RESET switch wires on pins 5 & 7 both switches will work. If you have the HDD LED (Activity LED) wires on pins 1 & 3 and the POWER ON LED wires on pins 2 & 4 they should work. If the LEDs don't work, turn the connector 180°.

5. KaponE

KaponE Thread Starter

Thanks for responding. If I could have, I would have traced the wiring to the LEDs and the switches. Unfortunately, this case is built in such a way that I can't get to the darn things :(

I've printed out the pin diagrams for the Acer Molex plug and the pinouts on my new motherboard and I'll take it to the university and have someone with an electrical engineering background tell me what wire goes where. Happy holidays to you and yours.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice