1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help Reverting Back to XP/Factory Settings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by onlyslightlytech, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. onlyslightlytech

onlyslightlytech Thread Starter

I browsed the forums before deciding to ask my question and didn't find anything that fully addressed my problem.

My uncle installed Windows 7 onto my computer, creating a Windows.old file. It had Windows XP before, as the factory installed OS (no disc). I am now trying to revert back to Windows XP (why is not important). However, I am having some issues:

1) When I boot and select "Earlier Version of Windows" as the OS to start with, I am taken to a screen that requires I enter an admin password. The problem is that we do not have an admin password for Windows XP. As far as I know, one never existed. I was never prompted to enter one when starting the comp, and my husband is the one who set it up and he said he never had one.

2) When I attempt to do a factory settings restore through Windows 7 by pressing F8, I am asked to locate a system image. I don't know what that means really, except that it's a copy of the existing comp info and am not sure if the Windows.old folder is what I'm looking for. If so, that's another problem because it won't accept Windows.old.

3) I do not have any recovery points beyond, like, yesterday. Apparently my uncle set it so that older recovery points are deleted to make room for new ones. Awesome.

2. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

Welcome to TSG
    Have you tried just hitting the "Enter" tab when asked for the password?

3. Megabite

Megabite

So when you start up you have 2 choices W7 and earlier version of Windows........so you have installed the W7 on the same drive as XP was......and when you try the earlier one it asks you for a password.......have you tried pressing Enter key without a password entered?

I don't know if there is a recovery partition on that model but you can see by pressing Ctrl+F11 on startup

4. onlyslightlytech

I've tried just 'enter' and it says "invalid password".

I have also tried looking up the partitions so as to disable/erase the W7 partition leaving only WXP, but it doesn't display either OS. I go in through the control panel, but now I can't remember the steps after that.

5. onlyslightlytech

Oh, and when I hit Ctrl+F11 it goes to a boot screen where I can select which operating system to start with, either W7 or "earlier version of windows (which is XP). That's how I end up at the screen asking for an admin password.

6. Megabite

Megabite

I wouldn't try deleting W7 as then you will most likely still not get into XP......and have no accessible operating System

I think you might need a XP disc to maybe help you.

7. onlyslightlytech

I'm sorry, when I hit ctrl+F11 it takes me to the bios setup utility. But I don't think it's possible to recover/restore from that screen, is it?

8. onlyslightlytech

How do I acquire a disk for an Operating system that was pre-installed on a comp that is well over 5 years old (and purchased used, so probably closer to 6-7 years) and didn't come with a disk?

9. Megabite

Megabite

10. onlyslightlytech

I think I may like the Ubuntu OS. Does it completely replace all existing operating systems when installed? That's what I'm looking for. Just ONE OS.

11. Tadtheo

Tadtheo

Yes, unless you re-partition the hard drive, you will wipe the entire drive.
    Keep in mind all drivers, and not all programs will be compatible with Linux, I learnt that the hard way. Be very careful when making your decision.

12. antech

antech Banned

Try presing Ctl + Alt + Delete Twice when it asks you for a passsword .Try accessing another account and /or you would consider cracking the windows password.
    Search Google for:
    How to crack Windows Password?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/903904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice