1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need help right now! help partitioning drive for ubuntu 7.10

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Sphinx, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

I will admit I'm very new to linux, so please help me!

I've read a lot about how linux uses partitions. I have a laptop with a 30GB hard drive. I want to install windows XP on it later for dual booting, so I want to leave about 16gb for that, preferably a little more.

The system is a pentium M 1.7ghz, 512MB RAM, some crappy 32MB video card.
    I guess the hard drive is SCSI because its coming up as "sda" in Gnome partitioner. I found this odd as I thought almost all home-use laptops came with IDE drives.

Anyway, I need advice on how to set up my partitions. Here are my thoughts

100MB for a /boot partition, right at the very beginning of the hard drive

The next 12GB as /root partition

Then what is this /home partition I keep reading about - is this necessary?

So then I'd have about 18GB left to install windows xp at a later time.

So can someone help explain to me what the /home partition is for? And I understand the /boot partition is where I would put the GRUB boot loader?
    Is it a good idea to make seperate partitions for TEMP directory and such - I have read about this too but have'nt looked much into it.

And so to do all this, I have an ubuntu 7.10 alternate CD (desktop edition). So I when the partition editor comes up, I must go to manual (not guided) if I want to set up these extra partitions such as /home , /tmp, etc.

Can someone help me with this tonight I'm trying to get this done by morning!

Thanks!

2. saikee

saikee

A 10Gb for "/" and 1Gb for swap will work for 100% of the Linux distros.

The /boot, /root and /home can then be subdirectories to /.

Separating them are really for the server application where there may be a need to control the access of them by hundreds of users. In such case you probably would not be using Ubuntu.

Just run Ubuntu as a Live CD, click terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo su
    cfdisk /dev/sda
    Every partition you create will be Type 83 sutiable for Linux installation. For swap you change its Type No. to 82. For NTFS partition you change the Type No. to 7 and XP will seize it for installation.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699108

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice