1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help - Second Registry Corruption

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by astronomygeek, Dec 31, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. astronomygeek

astronomygeek Thread Starter

It happened again. I made another post about it the first time but last night it didn’t boot up completely and instead took me to the windows startup repair when I restarted my computer. Again, it found the cause to be corrupted registry and did a registry roll back. Does this mean my hard drive needs fixing or is something broken? Or am I doing something wrong myself?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Probably the hard drive has bad sectors.

3. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

It would help if you used the system info utility to post the details of your system. Have you tried running system file checker or chkdisk?

4. astronomygeek

Not yet. Do you mean like info you would find on something like dxdiag? I have Windows 7, i5 3570k processor, 1070 gtx graphics card, and a WD Black Hard Drive about a few months old, along with about 8 GB of ram.

I’ll do the chkdsk now. Or would sfc/scannow be okay?

5. astronomygeek

I figured so.

6. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

Run sfc/ scannow to check the integrity of your system files; chkdisk to check the integrity of your hard drive. There is plenty of online information about how to use these utilities. Let us know about your progress with the problem.

Here is the techguy system information utility I was referring to. http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

7. astronomygeek

My sfc /scannow did scan and it showed some things were able to be repaired while others weren’t. I got busy today so I have not been able to do a chkdsk but I did restart to let what had been fixed by scannow to run and it did its thing. Some people have been saying it is probably a defect hard drive and to replace it. Will need to use the SysInfo when I get home.

Also Ican also check via cmd. Should I take a picture or copy all of it?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  8. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

What did system file checker report about files that it couldn't repair?

Just copy the results of running sysinfo.exe to your post.

Let us know what chkdisk reports.

Also, Western Digital should have diagnostic tools available from the support link on their website for analyzing the status of your hard drive (something similar to Sea Tools for Seagate hard drives). You can contact their technical support if necessary. Before you return a new hard drive, you should try to confirm that it is defective.

9. astronomygeek

Ironically as you replied, I tried sfc scannow again. It fixed the corrupted files and did it a third time for confirmation. It didn’t find any problems with the integrity. Should I do a chkdsk still? I can if you want.

And I keep forgetting to do that. Will do.

10. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

Since system file checker found corrupted files and repaired them, reboot your computer and see if your registry problem reappears or not. If it does, continue with the chkdisk utility and the other suggestions. If it doesn't, you can put that problem behind you.

11. astronomygeek

Looks like the problem is fixed.

12. lynx1021

lynx1021

Corrupted files can be caused by not shutting down properly or bad memory.

13. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

Glad to hear that! Hope it stays that way.

14. astronomygeek

I jinxed myself today. Looks like I’m doing a chkdsk. I called the guy who did my hard drive replacement so he said if it doesn’t fix it, he will just charge me for labor costs. Sorry about not getting system info either. He did a remote screen share with me so I had to restart for chkdsk which is running at the moment.

15. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

Are you running it from a command prompt? What parameters are you using, /f or /r ? Let us know how it goes.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice