1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help - Second Registry Corruption

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by astronomygeek, Dec 31, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. astronomygeek

astronomygeek Thread Starter

Yes. I used both find and repair settings. I took a picture of what I could on my phone.

Attached Files:

2. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

If chkdisk found no other problems besides free space marked as allocated, this is not likely to be related to your registry corruption issue. You should take a look at the following link and follow the instructions for repairing the registry in Windows 7. You may also want to use the Western Digital diagnostic tools for your hard drive to confirm that it healthy, even though it appears to be ok.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-registry/

3. astronomygeek

Can do startup repair. Can also try a WD diagnostic. Not sure about the option it wants on Win 7 for reinstalling Win 7. Will need to take it to the repair man for that sadly.

4. astronomygeek

Also should I do quick test or extende?

5. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

In the Windows 7 section, neither of these methods, startup repair, method 2 or the command prompt method, require a reinstall of the operating system, but the installation disk is required for repair of particular files.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  6. astronomygeek

I think the upgrade install requires a DVD of Win 7. Anyways, I am currently doing the diagnostic SMART scan thing from the WD Support site that I downloaded from, so I’ll let you know the results in half an hour more.

7. astronomygeek

Results.

Attached Files:

8. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

So, based on the results you posted, it appears that the hard drive is healthy. Was this the quick or extended test? I would go on to the registry repair, then reboot, and see how it goes.

9. astronomygeek

The extended
    The extended test and quick one. And sure.

10. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

By the way, I assume you have a good internet security program and have recently checked for malware and viruses.

11. astronomygeek

Yes. I use Malwarebytes, Windows Defender, and Ublock Origin on Chrome. And common sense lol.

12. astronomygeek

Also updating to let you know my Malwarebytes scan last night were hanging up and during one I got a blue screen. Today this morning it’s back to normal but very strange. Is it possible to just be bad HDD or RAM even with things like memory diagnostics test from Windows 7, the smart test from WD, and chkdsk all coming back normal?

13. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

Given your chkdisk and WD diagnostic results, your hard drive should be fine. Also, it seems that these issues only appeared around October, when you installed the new hard drive, correct? So it doesn't seem likely to be a RAM issue. What's much more likely are software and/or operating system issues. You will need a Windows 7 installation disk to address the possible registry corruption. Sometimes, as a last resort, an reinstallation of the operating system is required, and you will need the installation disk for that too. I assume you updated the driver when you installed the new hard drive. And I wonder if you would have this issue when starting from safe mode.

14. astronomygeek

Yes, in October. And I can try. I do feel like I might have been the repair man has installed Win 7 that ended up badly installed or whatever. Really because my files don’t all stop working from this, just this bothersome issue. Other people have said that I might need a reinstall of Win 7 but got no money for a disk atm. Also did another chkdsk (I got a bsod called kernel data invoice error when my MBAM scan hung up so I looked it up and chdksk was a solution). Results here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  15. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

Perhaps you could ask the repair person to help you with the registry corruption issue?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice