1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help Setting Up A Simple Two PC Lan

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jrru2, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jrru2

Jrru2 Thread Starter

I'll make this as brief as possible. I want to connect two PCs I have, one a laptop and the other a standard tower, into a workgroup. Now, I've done this before, BUT, on the hub I'm using, there's an uplink switch. If the switch was in, I could connect to the net with the laptop but not with the tower, and the computers couldn't see each other. If the switch was out, niether could get to the net, but they could see each other just fine. Just so you know, the hub is connected to a router. So, is that the way the uplink switch is supposed to work, or is there a way to set it up on XP(both use XP Pro), so that both computers can connect to the net AND see each other at the same time, regardless of the uplink switch? And if so, what is it?

It's just a little annoying with the uplink switch because you have to reboot the machines when change the switch.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Doesn't the router have connections for more than one computer?

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If all you have are two computers., one hub and a router,

1. Can you connect the computers directly to the router and bypass the hub entirely?

2. If you are connecting the router to the uplink port on the hub, set the switch so the lights are all lit on this port.

3. Then configure your computers to either get the IP address information assigned from the router (if it is configured for DHCP) or manually assign them the correct IP information to access the Internet (IP address, Subnet, Gateway and DNS).

4. Once the Internet is working, make sure each computer can ping the other by both IP address and Name.

Post the results of this and we can go on from there.

4. Jrru2

Jrru2 Thread Starter

Ok, in response to your replies:

1)They can't be connected to the router directly. The router is the basement of the house, and these two computers are on the top floor. The hub is plugged into a jack that goes all the way down to the router. So that's one jack on the router. But I'm not gonna wire another 100+ foot long ethernet cable through my attic etc and all the stuff it would take to hook the second computer to the router again. That's why I'm using a hub.

2)The switch is in and the lights are on. The tower can't even ping the router, it gets no response. On the laptop(what I'm on right now), all the IP/Subnet/Default Gateway info is as it should be, and the router's IP is 192.168.1.1, so that's the gateway. But on the tower, it's IP and subnet are totally different, and I have no clue yet where they came from. There is no default gateway specified at all on the router.

So, any ideas as to where to go from here?

P.S.I have had issues with this router(not the hub) before where if you plug a different computer into a jack on it, if the NIC card is different, you have to reboot the router to make it recognize it. Is it possible that the router is just not recognizing the NIC card in the tower right now?

5. Jrru2

Jrru2 Thread Starter

Ok, so on the tower I tried manually chaning the IP, subnet, and default gateway to match what the laptop had, except that I changed the last octet of the IP since it's a different node. Anyway, now the tower can ping the router successfully and open up the router's configuration page in internet explorer, but it still can't connect to the internet. What now?

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you can't connect to the Internet:

1. Make sure you have the router's IP address as the Gateway and typically the DNS address as well.

2. Ping an external site by IP ( e.g. 199.181.164.1 ). If this works then your Internet connection is working.

3. Ping an external site by Name (e.g. ping www.yahoo.com). If this works then not is the connection to the Internet working but DNS as well.

If you think the router might be part of the problem, have a computer connect directly to the Internet.

7. Jrru2

Jrru2 Thread Starter

It pinged the IP you listed successfuly, but not the url. I also tried pinging some URLs on the laptop(the one that works) and taking the IPs it spat back and trying to access them in IE on the tower, and that worked. I got to google.com with its IP. Apparently DNS isn't working. What should I do now?

8. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Basically, DNS is not setup on the tower. But DHCP should be able to take care of that for you.

Can the router's DHCP server hand out more than one address? (I would hope so.)

If the tower is unable to get a DHCP address, it will create a 169.254.x.x type address.

With the tower requesting DHCP, have you tried < ipconfig /renew > to get an address?

If the router IS having issues talking to more than one machine on a given port, it might be time to try a different router...

9. Jrru2

Jrru2 Thread Starter

Ok I take it back, I forgot to put the router's address in for the DNS thing too, so I did and now I can access the net just fine. So I'm halfway to my goal now that both computers can access the net just fine.

But I still have the problem of the computers can't see each other unless I change the uplink switch and reboot both machines.

10. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Uh, no, the uplink switch has nothing to do with the two computers communicating with one another. Nor should a reboot be needed.

Can the two PC's ping one another when both are able to get to the Internet? They should be able to... If they can, then the problem is above layer 3 and up to Windows network settings...

-Scott

11. Jrru2

Jrru2 Thread Starter

The two PCs(that both are fine with the internet now) can't even ping each other.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If both computers can finally get to the Internet you have a lot going for you.

Uninstall any 3rd party firewall software and turn off XP's built firewall.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Also when you try and ping the other computer(s), do the same as with the Internet. Ping by IP address first. Then once this works, then ping by name. Otherwise there are too many choices for a source of the problem.

14. Jrru2

Jrru2 Thread Starter

I disabled the WinXP firewall on both PCs. I have no other 3rd party firewalls.

So, now both PCs can ping each other no problem. But if I try to see them in My Network Places I get this message:

"Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

Mshome is the workgroup I assigned the PCs to.

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You continue to make progress. Now you can access the Internet and can ping each computer.

For starters you need to have the same user name and password create on both computers (assuming you want to share in both directions). Also, the default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access. So you can't have a blank password.

Also I am assuming that you have already shared some directory on the computer(s).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice