1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help Setting Up CGI

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by CyBerAliEn, Dec 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn Thread Starter

Hey,

I have a website that DOES support perl. I uploaded the file to /cgi-bin and changed it to 755 as directed. Well, when I try using the form on a page to submit, it comes up with an error saying something like it is unavailable or doesn't exist, etc...

I have never done this before, so I'm not really sure what to do. How do I get the script to work? It is FormMail.pl

Andrew

2. Rockn

Rockn

You need to change the script to meet the environment it is in and the page it is being referenced from, etc. Most premade ones tell you exactly what you need to change. Sounds like you need to get a good book on how to write CGI scripts.

3. CyBerAliEn

Hey,

No... I'm not completely stupid, I've just never been able to get any CGI scripts to work before. Either its something really complicated, or something really simple that no one bothers to address.

Right now, I got the form setup, and the perl script setup completely fine according to its README. I changed its something, don't remember what it is called, to 755 as directed. When I try testing the form, it comes up with:

The page cannot be found
    The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Open the www.cyberspacews.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
    Click the Back button to try another link.
    Click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP 404 - File not found
    Internet Explorer

I'm not sure why it is doing this. But I figure this could, or couldn't be irrevalent, I had to create my own "cgi-bin" folder. If I go to the root, it has like HTTPSDOCS, HTTPDOCS, etc... in it. It also had BIN, I figured that was my cgi-bin, so I tried to upload and it wouldn't allow me, even though I do have permission and administrative rights to the site as well as support for perl, asp, cgi, all the stuff.

Any ideas?

4. Rockn

Rockn

I have no idea what that was supposed to demonstarte as I got no errors whatsoever. Is this the site you are devloping or is this just an example of the error you were getting. If we could see the real site (unless that was it) or the script in question we might be able to give u a little more insight.

Looked at the code from your front page and the submit is being is being sent to "http://www.cyberspacews.com/~ubh/cgi-bin/cgiemail" which doesn't exist, thus the error. It should be sent to a CGI script in that directory for processing.....it's not going anywhere!

5. CyBerAliEn

Hey,

That is my website, i guess you follow the link through my name, but that wasn't what I was talking about.

Mine was www.cyberspacews.com and the forms on it. I finally got the forms working, it was due to a mis-interpretation between me and a tech support staff where i'm hosted.

Thanks for your help anyway!

Andrew

6. Rockn

Rockn

No problem, but they still seem to not work

7. CyBerAliEn

Hey,

Yeah... the forms at www.cyberspacews.com/~ubh/ still don't work because I have never set them up yet with the new script. They're all setup with the old script stuff from the old host. But the forms at www.cyberspacews.com are now working.

Thanks for your helping though... I realize you often post here with help. If you want a free web hosting account at my site with unlimited space, let me know, I'd be glad to offer one to you.

Andrew

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice