1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help sharing folder over network

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mykron23, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mykron23

mykron23 Thread Starter

I am trying to share a folder over a home network. The problem is I can share it, but everyone on the network has access to it, which I dont want. So I attempted to set permissions for the users on the network that I want to have access to it, but XP cannot find the users, I can only find users on the local machine. All of the computers are on the same workgroup.

How can I set up this share so only certain users are able to access it?

2. mattice06082

mattice06082

3. mykron23

mykron23 Thread Starter

Simple file sharing is already turned off. Setting the permissions is where I am stuck. I have admin rights on all the computers on the network. I can set permissions for users on the same computer as the folder I am trying to share and that works fine. But I cannot set permissions for users on other computers in the same network.

There has to be something else that I am overlooking.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/547753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice