1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help shopping for new monitor for gaming.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ct4033, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ct4033

ct4033 Thread Starter

Hi there. I have a KDS CRT 19" true flat monitor now. I like it but it really takes up way too much room. My girlfriend..(hehe yeah I know) says I should get a flat panel. I have heard lately that some of them are actually better for gaming than CRTs. I went to Frys (here in California, Orange county) and I did not understand some of this info...For example there was a Sony with the following..
    Contrast ratio 500:1, Pitch .264, 260/M2, .12MS response time, also it had an extra britenes feature that is exclusive to sony it made it real brite. This monitor was 20". It was on sale for about 899.00. What do the numbers mean? What should I be looking for? What is ideal for gaming? NOW what monitors do you recomend? My price range is about 900 up to 1200. I play at 1280x 1024. I would prefer at least 19 if not larger monitor size. Also it needs to have a good picture to play DVDs as the 'puter setup is in the bedroom and girlfriend likes to watch movies in bed. If at all possible please paste links to teach me about these features and what they mean. If you have some best pics (for monitors) please post em..

Thanks way in advance.

2. active95

active95

I'll start by trying to give a crash course in LCD.
    Contrast ratio-- level of "blackness" and brightness ( sorta ). The higher the number the blacker the black and brighter. If you look on an LCD you'll notice that it's not quite black black if the contrast ratio is something like 350:1 or bright for that matter. So the higher the contrast ratio the better.
    Pitch-- distance between pixels displayed. The lower the number the crisper the image.
    Response time-- time that the LCD needs to " paint" the screen ( again sorta). Anything above 18 ms , you'll cry when playing ( it introduce ghosting or frame skipping).
    Now if you're a true gamer ( DOOM III, etc..etc.. ) NO LCD CAN COMPETE with the good 'ol CRT. Since it seems you got cash i would suggest something like a Mitsubishi 22" Diamond Pro ( basically anything with a Trinitron tube). True, it's heavy and bulky but the pic... mmm.. like butha.. :D. Too bad Sony got out of the CRT production since they used to be the best.
    HTH

3. GRudger

GRudger

When did Sony release a 20" LCD with 12ms response time? When did anybody release a 20" LCD lower than 16ms response time? What model number was this Sony? First time I've heard about it...sorry, my 172x is feeling a little old...

I haven't had much blurring...but I haven't played any really fast games. The closest I've come to blurring is with VP3 when you really give the ball a good smack...mostly happens with the 4, 3, and 2 balls (Just in case you were wondering).

I'm sure if you do a search in google and/or this forum, you will find info on LCDs.

Also, a LCD monitor is two inches bigger than CRT's. ie, a 15" LCD will have the same viewable area as a 17" CRT.

This has some reviews. http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/index.html

Ok I'll stop now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice