1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help Soon

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Toddles18, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Toddles18

Toddles18 Thread Starter

My Aunt just bought an hp pavilion pc model 7955, it came with windows XP preloaded, they didn't want that so I loaded win98 onto it. Problem is I can't find the correct drivers for the sound card, and ethernet card, can't even find out exactly what model they are to find the drivers, please help soon, they need this computer back ASAP.

2. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Hey Toddles,

Go HERE and download/install BeLarc Advisor. (Freeware) It will tell you about virtually everything installed on the system. Good luck. KW1

3. Dan O

Dan O

4. Toddles18

Toddles18 Thread Starter

kilowatt1,

#1 Doesn't that program only give you information if you already have the drivers installed? and #2 only the web based version is free and I'm not on the web with the computer I'm trying to fix.

Dan O,

Installing XP in not an option, They have very important software without hardcopies of the software. so theres no way to reinstall the programs onto XP. I had to ghost win95 from old computer to new one, then had to upgrade to 98 cause 95 was having problems with new hardware components.

5. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Toddles,

The program will identify the hardware regardless of whether the drivers are installed. At least I believe it to since I recently tried it on an older machine and a second hand sound card just to see if it would identify it. As for the download, d/l it to a floppy then install it on the machine. It is independent meaning that does not need the web to work. KW1

6. Dan O

Dan O

You may be able to run the applications as XP supports compatibility modes. Copy the applications folder over to the new PC and try them. If they don't work look for .INI files and Registry entries, they can be copied over as well.

If you want to stay with 98 the sound is Integrated AC97 Sound Solution, see: http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph06988.html#P25_457

I would contact HP by telephone for sound drivers, or purchase a sound card. They are cheap. I like Yamaha sound cards as they are very easy to setup and get drivers for.

For the ethernet card go into Device manager within Windows 98 should report what is installed. Then you should be able to find drivers.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice