1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help to adjust wide monitor so everything doesn't look too wide

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by bunnymom, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bunnymom

bunnymom Thread Starter

We have a Dell 4400 computer and had a 17 1/2" Samsung monitor that was working great until the past couple of months. (Flashing green light, and it would take a really long time for the screen to go from black to color.) We bought a new monitor, a 22 1/2" Samsung. My problem is that I am a photographer and when going to edit photos, everything is too wide and people are too fat (they don't really look anything like what the monitor is showing). I read somewhere that there is a way to change the video card so I can set the monitor to a wider setting than what the computer is currently allowing me to do (1280 x 1024 is as wide as I can go, and this monitor recommends 1920 x 1080) Can I change the video card information, and if yes, how would I do that please? I have a 20GB hard drive on the computer (the original 40GB hd died two years ago) and just installed a 160GB hd (7200) after the computer stopped recognizing the 60GB hd that was where I kept everything...thank God I had backed it all up within the past two weeks on a portable hd!)
    thanks so much!

2. wowzer

wowzer

What program do you use to view/edit with?

What is the aspect ratio of the camera you use?

I have a 23" that is the same aspect ratio as your new one 1920x1080 and the "aspect ratio" displayed is determined by the program used.

You should be able to change the monitor settings thru control panel then display.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Display Properties or maybe a video card driver.
    You need to find a display setting that has a 16/9 aspect ratio ....
    Width divided by Height = 1.78
    1600x900 or 1280x720 maybe ??

If this Perfect Circle/Square doesn't look round and square .. your display settings are wrong.
    The file in the computer is probably OK .. Your just seeing it wrong.

4. Hughv

Hughv

What's the service tag number?

5. antimoth

antimoth

I had this problem with a 19" monitor connected to my wife's little bitty Acer netbook. All it could support was 1024x768, not even as good as your 1280x1024.

Sorry, but if your video properties only go to 1280x1024 on the Windows display setup, I believe that's all your current video card will support. You would have to install a new video card in your Dell 4400 to support that nice new monitor.

Probably less than $50 and easier (from a software perspective) than swapping a hard drive.

P.S. We upgraded to a pretty powerful HP PC for my wife. Much faster and better graphics of course.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1038786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice