1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help to configure wireless router as access point

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mfrns123, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mfrns123

mfrns123 Thread Starter

Ok, not sure if this is possible but I am sure someone will set me straight. Here is the setup I currently have. I have a Netgear wireless router connected to a couple of computers, no problems at all with it, next, in another room, I have a desktop computer with a wireless card installed to access my network. Is it possible to hook my extra wireless router (D-Link DI524) to this computer and configure it to act like an access point to extend my signal further through my house? If so how is this done? I need detailed instructions. Someone told me I could do it this way with a crossover cable attached to the computer and the router....is this true? Any help would be great. Thanks, Mike

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Connect the computer's ethernet port to a LAN port on the di524. The di524 ports are auto-sensing, so you can use patch or cross-over cable.

Disable the di524's Dhcp server. Set its LAN address to be in the same subnet as your primary router, but outside the Dhcp range; e.g., if primary router assigns 192.168.0.2 thru .100, you could set di524 to 192.168.0.254.

Configure the wireless normally--different channel and different SSID than that of the primary router.

Go into Network Connections and bridge the wireless and ethernet connections. This bridging is possible with Windows XP; not sure about other versions so you better check before doing any of this.

The whole setup would be better if you connected the two routers via ethernet, but that's not what you asked about.

4. WMRawls

WMRawls

Sorry to have anoyed you. Its with drawn.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's up to a moderator to decide if your (WMRawls) post is just expanding the question, but I found it to be highly annoying. I studied it and the first post for five minutes or so before realizing that you are somebody different with an entirely different configuration.

There is no indication that I can see that mfnrs123 would be interested in modifying his network your way, and I think that your post is unfair to him.

It's probably sufficiently confusing that JohnWill and I gave such similar, yet different, replies.

6. JohnWill

Gosh, I didn't even get to see it! :D

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I hope he starts a thread. It was something about he connected two routers per your procedure and it took his whole network down. You'll need to defend yourself. :)

8. mfrns123

mfrns123 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply guys, I will give it a shot this weekend. Just to let you know I cannot run Cat5 cable to the location, that is why I wanted to use wireless. I'll update this weekend, hopefully everyhting goes smooth.

9. JohnWill

Well, since this technique has been used a number of times successfully, including right here, that shouldn't be that difficult. ;) I can't always be right behind the person, correcting wiring or configuration mistakes. :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/467833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice