1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help to connect 2 laptops using one air card for internet?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by daniels012, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daniels012

daniels012 Thread Starter

If I have 2 laptops, One has an aircard for internet connection.
    If I connect the 2 computers via Ethernet cables, can I Bridge one laptop to the other so they can share the connection? If so, what is the process? And also, would we be able to use one printer as well?

Or if anyone has a suggestion what we can do, that would be great.
    Thank You,
    Michael

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    should be able to - what the windows version on each machine and you may need to use a crossover etherent cable not a straight cable - depends if the connectors are autosensing

you would use ICS internet connection sharing or bridge depending on windows version

3. daniels012

Ok, let me see.
    If we have Windows 7 to an XP machine, what would we need?
    If we have a Vista to a WIndows 7 machine, what would we need?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. daniels012

OK, so I connect a regular ethernet cable and do one of the links you have listed and this will work with an air card. Is that correct?

I know that when setting up an aircard, you don't go through normal networking proceedure you go through the aircards setup.

Michael

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe!

If neither of the NICs is auto-sensing (MDI/MDIX) you need a cross-over cable. Most systems that have been sold with Vista or Windows 7 have auto-sensing NICs.

Bridging may not work, as that requires obtaining two public IP addresses from your ISP.

ICS may not work because some mobile wireless ISPs block it.

7. daniels012

I see.
    So I am going to assume that it is most likely not going to be able to be done. We have the 2 computers together this weekend, so I will test it. Thank you for your input. If it does work over an aircard, I will let everyone here know.

Michael

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I didn't mean to discourage you; just pointing out that there are no guarantees.

9. daniels012

No discouragement! I am always grateful for your feedback. You have helped me numerous times.

Michael

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice