1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help to get on the internet!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hoju75, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hoju75

hoju75 Thread Starter

I am at school at a LAN. The school's instructions for hooking up to the internet is just to go to the network properties and have everything automatically configured, so you don't need to enter in any DNS or IP Addresses. I did that and and have it checked on automatically detect in internet options and it didn't work. I brought it to the tech guys, they said it might be a virus. So, I did a virus scan and removal, there were no viruses. Checked it again, nothing. I restored my laptop to default and tried everything again, and virus removal. Nothing works. I thought it might be the jack or cable, so I went to a neighbor's room whose internet does work, and mine still doesn't work. I guess it's my laptop. The ethernet adapter is installed and drivers are updated, so I don't know what to do. I am running Windows XP home, and it is a Dell Inspiron 5150.

Steve

2. Gensler

Gensler

did your laptop get on the internet at home thru your NIC? you can test your NIC with an internal loop, by pinging it in DOS. ping 10.0.0.1

3. hoju75

hoju75 Thread Starter

Yes, it has connected to the internet with the laptop before. How do I ping?

4. madbeatchemi

madbeatchemi

To Ping, click the start button, then click RUN, then when the window pops up, type in CMD. When the Command Prompt pops up, then type ping 10.0.0.1 Your results look should something like this.

Attached Files:

5. hoju75

hoju75 Thread Starter

I did the pinging, and it did not recieve any signals.
    Destination host unreachable, sent 4, reached 0.

So what does that mean? What is wrong?

6. madbeatchemi

madbeatchemi

you may have a damaged NIC

7. madbeatchemi

madbeatchemi

or maybe your Inspiron 5150 is going "CRAZY" :D :eek:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269053

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice