1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help to install All-In-One

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Barbaram3, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Barbaram3

Barbaram3 Thread Starter

Can anyone help me get my printer/scanner working? I have a second hand unit, no install disk and no manual. Its a Xerox Work Centre PE16, printer, fax, scanner, copier.

I have downloaded the drivers from Xerox and I think everything is installed (how can you tell?) but when I try to print a document nothing happens and the only message is "doc failed to print. The print troubleshooter says it can not help with this problem.

I've tried printing from Word and from NotePad. I checked with the place I purchased my cable and they say it is the right one. I'v tried both a USB cable and a cable that is USB/serial port type.

I had alot of trouble installing the software and I uninstalled/re-installed it several times. It appeared to install when I switched from the Serial port to the USB but I'm not sure if it is 100%. When I plug the cable into computer/printer, my computer makes the sound it makes when it plugs into my other printer so I think it is making connection...but I don't know how to confirm.

I am running XP Home Edition
    Please help

2. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

Check in the control panel (printers and faxes)that your xerox printer is set to default

3. Barbaram3

Barbaram3 Thread Starter

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the status of the printer in the printer box - does it show as online/ready
    control panel>printers>

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Getting it to print is only one function. What do you plan to use for scanning software? I assume this is related to your other thread on "scanning, compressing, and e-mailing" forms for your new job. I would suggest you buy a new unit that includes software. You may also need a new computer since newer printers / all-in-ones probably won't have Windows XP support.

Did you check with your employer to find out exactly what you need to do this job? Trying to piece it together one hardware or software component at a time isn't the best approach.

6. Barbaram3

Barbaram3 Thread Starter

Etaf: the printer (in control panel) says "ready" and it is set as the default
    DoubleHelix: I appreciate your input and everything you say is correct and I wish I could afford all new equipment because I sure wouldn't waste time on a second hand printer. I temporarly solved my earlier problem related to scan/pdf/compress at my local kinkos. I am an independent Insurance agent working from a home office, and there is no "boss" type person to help me...I work for myself and by myself. I am trying to move into doing business thru the internet, so I need to get my equiptment working to support that type of business. I'm not sure what all I may need, I'll learn that as I become more & more involved in online business. At times like these I wish I did have the support of a "boss" or help desk etc.
    The Unit I'm trying to install had 3 downloads on the Xerox web site, one of which was for the scanner, one for the printer and I'm not sure but I think the third was like a management software for all the functions.
    I can't find install instructions on Xerox's website except to use the installation disk which I don't have.
    Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks!

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

When you bring up the screen to print, are you certain the printer it shows to use is the Xerox printer?
    If it is and it says "ready" and it shows in Printers in Control Panel then either the cable is no good or the printer is.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice