1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help to reload Internet Explorer 9 (32 bit)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by janebeth, Feb 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janebeth

janebeth Thread Starter

IE 9 (32 bit) crashed. The 64 bit version still works. Yes I tried the usual fixes: Reset, Delete Personal Settings, restart computer, take an Excedrin, turn modem off, etc. The OS is Windows Home Premium 64 bit.

I don’t see a place to uninstall IE 9 32 bit. Control Panel to Programs and Features doesn’t list it.

Seems that IE 9 needs reloaded. Microsoft offers two downloads: Windows Internet Explorer 9 for IT Professionals and Developers Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 -- and also the same thing in 64-bit. It seems that I need the first one and not the 64 bit edition, is that correct?

Can I download it over top of the current IE 9? Will I lose my “Favorites List” (bookmarks)? Will there be any other issues? Is there any other fix for this?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    IE 10 and IE 11. But I guess you have your reasons for deliberately avoiding updating?

Maybe it would work to uninstall the IE 9 update; and then again update from IE 8 to IE 9. See Downgrade IE9 to IE8 windows 7. However, I have no clue whether this will work. Microsoft may offer only IE 11 and not IE 9 or 10.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Also - I agree with my colleague
    Running IE9 with its security risks unless you have some special reason for doing so is inadvisable

If you decide to update to IE11 which is what I would recommend
    This may help you
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1120002-internet-explorer-11-32bit-64bit.html

so that you are not confused by the lack of the 64 bit IE entry in the start menu

I also think a little further explanation of this
    may help - as it appears to me that there may possibly be problems - could you exp0lain what happens please when you try and use IE

4. Macboatmaster

Further to the above
    Is your AV Norton by any chance
    If so a Norton update of 20 Feb MAY be the problem

5. janebeth

janebeth Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet and Macboatmaster.

IE 9 opens but some of it doesn’t show. I think it’s called the menu bar (File, Edit, View, Tools, Help) is only a white area, about half its normal height. Sometimes I can get the “gear” open, on upper right corner, but everything is grayed out. The spinning circle appears, and a dialogue box says that IE has stopped working and it will close and look for solutions. The dialogue boxes appear as fast as you can close them.

I was watching a video on Hulu which went to a commercial and that was the end of IE 9.

I do not have any add-ons or special tool bars. I do have Norton, which updates virus definitions in the background. Yesterday, the 20th, is when IE 9 crashed. What did you hear about Norton updates yesterday? Is Norton going to fix the problem?

IE 9 came loaded on the computer and I did not update, as I was satisfied with it. I have heard nightmare stories about the "latest" version of this or that. I don't feel the need to have the "latest". I'd prefer to have something stable that works. IE 9 has run perfectly for 3 years and then suddenly crashed.

I’m not computer savvy, which is why I came here for advice from the experts. I just read the specifications from the System properties and other locations. I followed instruction pages on the web about resetting IE 9, but I noticed that hasn’t worked for many other people and it didn’t work for me.

It’s odd that the 64 bit browser works but the other browser 32 bit, does not! I don’t know why, but then I don’t know much about technical stuff.

I managed to find the Favorites folder (bookmarks) and somehow managed to copy it to the 64 bit browser. It copied in alphabetical order, rather than the order it was in, but at least I didn’t lose my favorites.

I haven’t encountered any security issues with IE9. I suppose I could install the latest browser, but the IE9 64 bit is working OK. I am concerned about the crash, and if the 64 bit version will remain stable and if it is usable for everything that the 32 bit version did?

Thanks for your replies.

6. janebeth

janebeth Thread Starter

This appears to be a Norton problem. The Norton update crashed the IE browsers.
    See: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/tonights-update-crashing-ie11#comments

I have a few related questions:
    Will using a restore point on System restore, put my Favorites list back in the order it was, or will it remain in alphabetical order?

When the Favorites list is “exported”, does the export process “copy” the bookmarks to the new file or location, - or does it “move” the bookmarks and thus leave the Favorites list empty?

Is the 64 bit IE useable for everything that the 32 bit does? What’s the difference?

Do programs like Deep Freeze or Roll Back Rx, resolve problems like this IE or with
    malware, ransom ware, viruses?

I heard that some folks use Deep Freeze and they store bookmarks, copies of news articles, photos and other data on an external hard drive (which isn’t frozen). Thus their computer always runs fast, never bogs down, and is immune to viruses. I don’t know if they use Norton or maybe don’t need it.

Roll Back Rx can also revert to an earlier time. I don’t know how it affects Norton updates or data like bookmarks. Maybe it erases them?

I look forward to your replies.

7. Macboatmaster

8. Macboatmaster

Just wondering how you went on with this

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Right-click within the top-most bar of Internet Explorer, then make sure there's a checkmark in Menu bar in the drop-down menu.

------------------------------------------------------------

10. janebeth

janebeth Thread Starter

The browser now functions after Norton made their correction.

11. Macboatmaster

Thanks it is always nice to know the result
    Please mark the topic solved by clicking the mark solved button on your post

Pleased I was able to find the cause for you - had just read the Norton alert

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice