1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help to set up advanced settings for router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LadyDragon, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LadyDragon

LadyDragon Thread Starter

Hi. I have a GIGABYTE Technology 54 Mbps Wireless Router. It works really well and I am happy with it.

... However...

I want it to be a secured connection for just my flatmate's and my computers to access. It says that it has WPA, 64/128-bit WEP encryption, SPI firewall and URL blocking. However, the manual does not give me clear instructions on how to use these functions.

Actually, someone set it up for me initially. Since I live in Taiwan and my flatmate was home when they installed it, everything was done in Chinese. I am entirely unclear how to secure the connection at this time. To make matters a little more complicated, I don't have the manual (or if I do it is still in a box somewhere)... we just moved.

I am not a computer idiot but in reading posts trying to find some information in these forums I didn't understand any of it. Most of this technology came into common use while I have been out of the States (Yes, I'm American.) and in either Africa... where the internet is still an office/school/interesting but not a common thing... or in Asia where everybody knows it but it is in Chinese so I am still clueless. :confused:

:rolleyes: Ahem, what I mean to say is... any assistance needs to be in SIMPLE steps and clear, straightforward English.

Anyone interested in tutoring? TIA

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I suggest you first try to get your hands, or at least eyes, on the manual. It's probably available on your router's manufacturer's web site. Explaining terms, etc., that you don't understand would be so much easier and quicker than trying to tell you what to do from scratch without knowing what terminology your router uses.

WPA encryption is best, but you want to make sure that your computers' adaptors support it. If WPA is not supported by all your equipment, I suggest using 128-bit WEP.

In case you can't get the manual, can you logon to the router?

3. LadyDragon

I am using the router now, if that is what you mean by Logon... and I use Windows XP, so when I want to change the settings I click on the "Wireless Network Connection" listing for GIGABYTE (as it appears whenever I turn on the router). I can change the properties but I just don't know what to do.

The manual I have is in Chinese. I don't speak or read Chinese. My flatmate does but she doesn't understand the directions and cannoe explain them to me. Her sister and bro-in-law are computer geeks but they never come to this city.

Hence my post here.

I posted what the box said and it said that WPA was available. How do I check that my laptop and hers supports it?

So where do I go from here? :eek:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "logon" to the router means to access it via your browser, and do the logon procedure so that you can change router settings, including enabling encryption.

Using a computer connected via ethernet, type the router's IP address into your browser's address window. The address is probably 192.168.n.1, where n is 0 or 1 or 2. Then logon; hope that no password has been set (the default password is null, nothing, nada, ...).

Once you've done the logon, see if there is a utility to backup the router's settings. You may want this later if a mistake is made along the way!

Then go to the Security section, select WPA and select a pass phrase (e.g., "just you and me").

As soon as you finalize the above step, your wireless signal is encrypted--now you know why you did this step with an ethernet connection!

Go to each computer and "teach" it to use WPA and the same pass phrase. If you find that you don't have WPA on both, just go back to the router and change it to WEP 128-bit.

I know the above is probably not sufficient, but hopefully it'll get us down the path a little way. Where's the Chinese/English speaking GIGABYTE Technology router user when we really need him/her???

5. LadyDragon

I don't have any other connection to the router... I can only access it here... and it is my only means of access to the internet...

I typed the IP address into my browser address line but did not get anywhere. And I AM connected via that router.

How do I check to see that my computer is WPA functional?

6. LadyDragon

If I click on the wireless connection icon on my taskbar I get the Status Window

If I click on Properties I get the wireless network connection properties window

If I click on the Wireless Networks Tab and highlight my router and click Properties I get the GIGABYTE Properties Window

Association Tab: "This network requires a key for the following:
    Network Authentication (currently OPEN)
    Data Encryption (currently Disabled)"

Can't I change it here?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I typed the IP address into my browser address line but did not get anywhere. And I AM connected via that router."

It's possible to lock out wireless access (at least it is with my Belkin router); perhaps the person who set up your router did so for safety.

"How do I check to see that my computer is WPA functional?"

Check the specs for your wireless adaptor--maybe on CD, maybe on your computer, maybe need to go to the manufacturer's web site. Or, if you're using the utility that came with the adaptor, you can explore its options.

"If I click on the Wireless Networks Tab and highlight my router and click Properties I get the GIGABYTE Properties Window ... Can't I change it here?"

I do not know. If you can change it via wireless connection, be very careful! Safer to buy a short ethernet cable, assuming you have a NIC in your computer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/373155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice