1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help to set up home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MTE, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MTE

MTE Thread Starter

Hi,
    I need some help to know if I can do this myself. Here is the situation and note, I do not know a whole lot about the technical terms. Here goes:
    - with previous ISP, we had a tech come out and set up two ASUS routers and two Dlink powerline extenders for our approx.2200 sq foot home so we could have great wifi inside and all throughout the back/front yards -this was working great, under original network name, ABC
    - then switched ISPs about a year later and new ISP set up the new network, let's call it XYZ, and it worked well for a few days with routers and extenders exactly where they were, but then no good connection in my basement office
    - what happened? new ISP network was appearing in addition to ABC
    - where I sit in my office, I cannot have my Ethernet connection to my work laptop and find myself moving around to get a decent wifi connection in the office
    - everywhere else, wifi is great, but still see XYZ and ABC in different spots around the house

I want to get one network to appear, fix the settings of the routers and have both routers and extenders functioning again so everything can connect to XYZ only.

What do I know?
    - IP addresses of the routers, with the passwords
    - see below... I think the person I paid after we changed ISPs tried to keep everything as ABC, but the modem/router provided by ISP showing network XYZ keeps showing

My current set up (which needs to stay the same)
    - Router 1 is hooked up to the modem/router provided by the ISP and extender 1 as well. Note I also have an ATA for voip phone attached to this router 1 --> all of this is on the main floor, one end of the house
    - Router 2 is in the basement home office in opposite end of the house, with extender 2, and I have an Ethernet cable running from that router to my docking station
    - there is an upper level
    - we have always had excellent speeds when there is a connection, inside and outside

How can I fix this to get rid of ABC? Please don't dismiss this issue - I cannot work because of this and I have paid a person to help since switching ISPs. I simply cannot afford to have him come out again! My husband is saying he can do this, but tried once by logging into the routers and changing something... but still the same problem!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1202722