1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help to share Internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by abrodski, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abrodski

abrodski Thread Starter

Hello!
    I need some help in establishing Internet connection sharing. I've got 2 laptops. Both are WiFi and Ethernet enabled. The 3rd piece of hardware is a WiFi router (I call it a "modem"), which acts as a bridge basically at this point. It's this one here:
    HUAWEI wireless home gateway HG 530 (its official title)
    The Internet connection to the ISP is a wired PPPoE one. There's RJ-45 cable that enters our apartment from the outside (I assume that there's a major router that serves the whole building with Fiber Optic all the way down to ISP itself, but I'm not sure and it's irrelevant to my issue here). I used to connect that RJ-45 cable into an appropriate jack on one of the laptops and I have a PPPoE W7 connection (called a High Speed Connection in Windows environment). So I just "dial" that Internet connection with username and password provided to me by my ISP. It's a regular Ethernet connection as far as HG530 is concerned. Then I started using laptop's WiFi to reach the HG530. I still use the same Windows PPPoE connection for dialing. It saves me having a cable on the floor which (the cable) was reachable by my cat who likes to chew stuff. So that's what I have right now.
    I want to make it clear that it's NOT a WiFi Internet connection (there're zillions of threads all over the Net how to share it -- I wouldn't be asking it AGAIN here!). Internet connection is still a wired one. It's the LINK between the router and one of the laptops that is wireless!!! The router acts as a bridge only. Now we've got to the core of the matter. My wife owns the 2nd laptop and she wants to be able to browse the Internet simultaniously (hope I got it right) with me. It would've been a piece of cake case IF my own laptop had a wired Internet connection as it used to have. Then I would simply connect both laptops with WiFi and that's how I would share the Internet. But then there's a cat problem... That's why I want to connect the laptops with a cable directly without buying an additional piece of hardware (another bridge or a router). And, of course, then to share Internet connection that way. Is it a feasible idea at all???

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that you are asking if you can connect the two laptops via ethernet and then enable ICS on the first laptop's wireless connection. If that is your question the answer is 'yes.'

Why not just buy a broadband wireless router (not a modem/router combo) to use instead of the HG530? (Perhaps the reason is that your ISP requires a computer, not a router, connected.)

3. strollin

strollin

I don't understand why you need Internet Connection Sharing. ICS is a way of sharing the connection when you don't have a router. Since you have a router, connect both laptops to the router by either cable or wifi and be done with it.

4. abrodski

abrodski Thread Starter

I'm surprised that there's also Ottawa in Illinois. I've only been to Ottawa,ON a few years ago...
    And NO... we don't want to connect the laptops via Ethernet. I don't even want to connect MY OWN laptop that way anymore (due to cat's activity). Everything is wireless (except the router's connection to ISP, which is wired one). That's first.
    Secondly, as per buying stuff... The whole idea is NOT to buy an additional hardware, since (as everyone imply) what we have is enough. My ISP doesn't require anything, they say that it should work, but it doesn't. Though I didn't bother them too much with this (maybe I should).

5. abrodski

abrodski Thread Starter

Yeah, that's what everybody tells me. I configured router as it's written in its manual and I even called the ISP to double check that. BUT still... no Internet, even in my laptop. Maybe something needs to be adjusted in Windows settings... OR... since the device wasn't bought in a store, but was obtained from a different ISP, maybe something isn't the way it should be normally. Though it's a mere speculation on my part, I have no idea...

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Guess I misunderstood "I want to connect the laptops with a cable directly" near the end of your initial post. Sorry.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice