Need help transferring files from IDE Hard Drive to SATA Hard Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

viper7342

A friend of mine has asked me to transfer some music and picture files from his old IDE hard Drive in a HP Pavillion System, to his new SATA hard drive in his new Dell System, it sounds like it should be a fairly simple process, but my question is, what is the best way to just copy these files and not the entire hard disk?

A friend of mine has asked me to transfer some music and picture files from his old IDE hard Drive in a HP Pavillion System, to his new SATA hard drive in his new Dell System, it sounds like it should be a fairly simple process, but my question is, what is the best way to just copy these files and not the entire hard disk?
I'd say the easiest way would be to hook up the old drive via external hard drive enclosure to copy the files. That way he could still use the old hard drive. That's if you don't want to open his case.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat..._tlc.asp?CatId=2777&name=Hard-Drive-Enclosure

viper7342

However, the primary master hard disk in the Dell system is a SATA Drive and the one in the old HP System is an IDE drive, I thought about installing the old drive as a slave, but I don't think that would work seeing as they're 2 different types of interfaces, any other suggestions?

I have a SATA drive as my primary master drive, with an IDE drive set as the secondary slave (With a DVD burner as secondary master), so I think it should work fine to just slap the drive in and drag-and-drop.

Remember to change the jumper to either cable select CS or slave SL
Also you could copy the files to a cd/dvd or flash drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online