1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help: Trying To Share My Adsl Over Home Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pugdog007, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pugdog007

pugdog007 Thread Starter

I recently made the plunge into ADSL internet after many frustrating yers of dial-up. I live in Australia and now have my ADSL up and running for 2 PC's.

Both PC's are running XP Home.

In one room there is the modem and PC and a wallplate which runs an ethernet through the roof to the 2nd PC. I would like to split the cable in the roof to share that modem port with 2 PCs using an ethernet router.

i purchased a 5 port 10mbps router from ebay (ex display). I tried to plug the "modem" cable into the uplink port and the the two pc's into the other ports. I tried every combination i could think of but the connection did not work on either PC and the router only showed "connected" on the modem side in any port, the 2nd and 3rd PC's show nothing on the router. previously i had a direct link through the roof to the 2nd PC which worked fine.

what is going on????

2. vohoanglam

vohoanglam

B/c you don't tell us you configuration in both PCs and router! So I just give some some ways then:
    1. Check if you want a DHCP or static IP. If you run DHCP from ADSL router, you have to config from the LAN box, detail is up to your modem. See the manual for more!
    Setting a dynamic IP and DNS for PCS (only when you enable your ADSL router)
    2. Or, you have set the static IP for your PCs ( same subnet mask is needed).Try to PING your ADSL router IP address! If 3 ( PCs and router can see each other, then the only step you will do next is setting default gateway for PCs)
    3. If you know all these thing, try to test you new router!
    Hope you will ok!

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The modem plugs into the WAN port on the broadband router, that's the first step you need to correct. :)

4. pugdog007

pugdog007 Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for your help but im not advanced at this stuff so could you dumb it down a bit. I'd like to explain more clearly with a diagram but cant figure out how to post images.?????

5. pugdog007

pugdog007 Thread Starter

6. JohnWill

What SPECIFIC make/model is the ADSL modem/router you use? If it's already running two machines, it's probably capable of running more with a simple switch/hub, you don't need another router.

Without knowing the make/model, it's hard to check it's capabilities, but I think you may have one too many routers in the mix. :)

Another point to consider, I've seen more than one item being sold on eBay because it didn't work, you might consider that possibility. :)

7. pugdog007

pugdog007 Thread Starter

The actual modem has 4 ethernet ports but i need to share one of them between two PC's. Simply runing another cable trough the roof might seem logical but it is not practical. It would mean installing new wallplates and cabling which is particularly dificult due to wall insulation which was put in after the cabling.

I will need to share one port by splitting it at an ethernet router as in the diagram. How should i do this????

Thanx.

8. JohnWill

Other than the modem/router, all you need is a simple switch to split a connection remotely, don't put any more routers into the mix. :) Your ADSL modem is also a router, you got that base covered. Erase that router and change it to a switch, about $15-20, and you're all set.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice