Need help understanding drivers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sync

I'm restoring an Acronis image to a different computer using their Universal Restore and part way through the restore I'm getting this message:

Device driver 'PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4390&SUBSYS' for XP Pro cannot be found. Place the driver on removable media and click Retry
I looked this up and found this info.

4390 SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [IDE mode]
1043 8389 M4A785TD Motherboard
1849 4390 Motherboard (one of many)
I went to the HP site and there is no SATA driver for this computer. So I downloaded the chipset exe and extracted it.

1) The first thing I realize is that I don't know which files are part of the driver. I know the inf files are part of it but I assume there is more. How do I identify which files are needed to install a driver?

2) When I look in the inf files I see lines like this:
%ATI.DeviceDesc%=ati_pciide_Inst, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4376
I assume that one of the line should say 'VEN_1002&DEV_4390' if that is the correct driver. Is that right?

sync

Thanks for the responses.

I am assuming that my questions remain unanswered so far but please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Hermitt43

Jim
What brand & type of computer was the IMAGE created on?
Unless the PC is identical to the one the Image was created on it WILL NOT work.
A backup image of a HP for instance, will probably NOT work on lets say a DELL computer.

sync

What brand & type of computer was the IMAGE created on?
Unless the PC is identical to the one the Image was created on it WILL NOT work.
A backup image of a HP for instance, will probably NOT work on lets say a DELL computer.
The computers are different. Acronis has a Universal Restore module that makes this possible. This is my first time using it though.

Hermitt43

Jim
The computers are different. Acronis has a Universal Restore module that makes this possible. This is my first time using it though.
OIC.... I've never used Acronis so I wasn't aware it had that option.
I use WinCare2008Pro which doesn't have Universal Restore module.

Sorry I couldn't help you find the driver you need.

Good Luck,

Jim

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online