1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help understanding drivers

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sync, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sync

sync Thread Starter

I'm restoring an Acronis image to a different computer using their Universal Restore and part way through the restore I'm getting this message:

I looked this up and found this info.

I went to the HP site and there is no SATA driver for this computer. So I downloaded the chipset exe and extracted it.

1) The first thing I realize is that I don't know which files are part of the driver. I know the inf files are part of it but I assume there is more. How do I identify which files are needed to install a driver?

2) When I look in the inf files I see lines like this:
    I assume that one of the line should say 'VEN_1002&DEV_4390' if that is the correct driver. Is that right?

2. Juli007

Juli007

3. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
  4. sync

sync Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

I am assuming that my questions remain unanswered so far but please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

5. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
    What brand & type of computer was the IMAGE created on?
    Unless the PC is identical to the one the Image was created on it WILL NOT work.
    A backup image of a HP for instance, will probably NOT work on lets say a DELL computer.

6. sync

sync Thread Starter

The computers are different. Acronis has a Universal Restore module that makes this possible. This is my first time using it though.

7. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
    OIC.... I've never used Acronis so I wasn't aware it had that option.
    I use WinCare2008Pro which doesn't have Universal Restore module.

Sorry I couldn't help you find the driver you need.

Good Luck,

Jim

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice