1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help uninstalling and reinstalling ME

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mszeldapelda, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mszeldapelda

mszeldapelda Thread Starter

Had trouble getting on internet. Reran set-up somehow lost something connected with IE, as it no longer shows up in the Add/Remove. Also, I cannot reload it or download any Window updates.

Think I have to rerun (or is that reformat) whichever. I am not sure how to do this.

I know that somebody out there will show me the way. :) :)

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Internet Explorer won't show up in Add/Remove Programs after formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS. You can't remove IE. You can only roll back to a previous version. Since you've just reinstalled, there's no version to roll back to.

What happens when you go to the Windows update site? What errors do you get?

3. elaich

elaich

Windows Update will not work if ActiveX is not installed or functioning. I ran into that once. It just sits there and does nothing.

Since IE is not visible in your Add/Remove box, you can't repair it, either.

If you have your original ME install disk, you don't have to reformat. Just install ME over itself. That way, you keep all your installed programs and ME should repair IE in the process.

4. dr20

dr20

Hi it might still be possible to repair IE. Go to the Start button > Run and paste in the command below exactly as you see it. Note this command is for IE 5.5:

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

For Internet Explorer 6 copy and paste this command instead:

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

5. mszeldapelda

Dr20
    I started to do as you suggested but then I saw uninstall IE, don't I want to update?? Can u explain? cause I am ready to do just about anything

Elaich, already tried that.

Me thinks I wiped something out.

Thanks to all of you :) :)

6. dr20

dr20

First you might want to try to repair IE so maybe that will solve the problems you're having at the Windows Update site. If it does then you can go ahead and do any updates that you need.

Btw what version of IE do you have on there now?

7. mszeldapelda

Tried what Dr20 suggested this is what I received Error in setup.dll
    Missing entry IE6Maintence.
    tried to find sfc and couldnt then went to msconfig to try to extract the file and guess what I didnt know how to enter it the correct way.

Can u help me again.?????

Hope so

8. dr20

dr20

Hi you probably won't be able to do a repair or uninstall of IE.

If I'm reading your post right are you looking to reinstall Windows Millennium itself? Did you want to do a reformat and reinstall from scratch? If so you'll need to make sure you've got all your drivers such as for sound etc.

Or as elaich suggested if you have the ME disk you can also install it over the current configuration and that way you won't lose any data or programs and it may repair Internet Explorer.

9. mszeldapelda

Dr.20

My problem is that I have already tried to run my disc and install ME over itself and still cannot get it to update my explorer.
    I think I wiped something out.
    Am at my wits end and am thinking of giving up and sending computer out.

Strange things are starting to happen and I don't know if connected to this problem
    my scanner is not coming on, cannot download pictures from digital camera or download from some sites.

Think this is too much for me to handle

Thanks for all your help if you think of something else I could try please let me know

10. dr20

dr20

Hi if you take it into a shop most likely what they'll do is a complete reformat and reinstall so be sure to save all your personal files. If you think you'd like to try it yourself the most important thing is having the basic drivers beforehand to get back online and your sound working. Do you currently have a CDRW that will burn files to disk?

11. mszeldapelda

Dr20 here I am again
    this time I went tried to get the fixes you advised did both the 5.5 and the 6

For IE6 received this message setupwbv.dll Missing entry IE6Maintenece.
    For IE5 this error creating process <IE5WZD.EXE/A/S:"C:\WINDOWS\WINDOWS UPDATE SETUP FILES\IE6SETUP.EXE"> Reason The system cannot find the file specified.

What do I do now?

Sorry for being a pest

12. dr20

dr20

Hi I don't believe you can repair your version of IE unless you downloaded updates from Microsoft. What version do you have? Go to Help/About Internet Explorer on the IE toolbar and check for that along with any Update version numbers you might have.

13. mszeldapelda

hiDr20

I am running IE 5.50
    The only thing when I go to updates is that it sends me to a download page.
    Cipher strength is 128 bit if that means anything
    Thanks for al your help and time

14. dr20

dr20

Can you create a link to the download page it's sending to you too? When you get to it from the IE toolbar on top go to File > Properties. When that opens up highlight the Address (URL) then right click to copy it then cut and paste it in the reply box.

15. mszeldapelda

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice