1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need help urgently

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by utternutter, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. utternutter

utternutter Thread Starter

hiya could some 1 please help me as i have really messed up my new pc i bought a new pc of ebay it was fine then i loaded in nortons system works then the pc started to slow down so i deleted nortons not properly then i tried to reload windows oh by the way it had xp pro every thing was going fine then during installation about 60% it could no longer read the cd and every time i turn it on it asks for disc i have bought software to format drive and it has bios and lots of other software on it so what i want 2 know is once i format drive what order do i load software ie drivers for moter board bios and operating system or if some 1 knows of a better idea please help
    many thanks
    paul

2. Xeper

Xeper

IS your Windows legal? If so call MS ask ask for a new disk. As far as I know they have no problem with sending a new disk if you can prove you have bought the sofware legal. If you got a pirate version, well, that's what you get. I could do some suggestions, but that would involve illegal things. Also a little thing called "punctuation" can help to make your post more understandable. I had to bring out my intergalatic translator to decode your message.

3. utternutter

hiya have bought xp legally but dont think thats the problem as for punctuation its the skools fault
    thanks

4. Xeper

Xeper

Call MS for a new version. Of burn yourself a new Windows and use the original key. ANd school is never to blaim ;).

5. terryxp

terryxp

If you bought it on ebay with xp preloaded it may be pirated as stated above.

/ at least use periods ;)

6. XxMattxX

XxMattxX

I think I have answered more questions with "get rid of Norton" than anything else I've ever done. Before doing any reinstalls, get rid of Norton.

7. Xeper

Xeper

Amen

8. utternutter

hiya thanks for quick reply how would i be able to get rid of nortons with the pc as it is thanks

9. Funkmeister

Funkmeister

Just a short quote from 'How to ask questions the smart way' Paul, it may explain why you're not getting the sort of attention you seek..

"Write in clear, grammatical, correctly-spelled language

We've found by experience that people who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking and coding (often enough to bet on, anyway). Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding; we'd rather spend our time elsewhere.

So expressing your question clearly and well is important. If you can't be bothered to do that, we can't be bothered to pay attention. Spend the extra effort to polish your language. It doesn't have to be stiff or formal — in fact, hacker culture values informal, slangy and humorous language used with precision. But it has to be precise; there has to be some indication that you're thinking and paying attention.

Spell, punctuate, and capitalize correctly. Don't confuse “its” with “it's”, “loose” with “lose”, or “discrete” with “discreet”. Don't TYPE IN ALL CAPS, this is read as shouting and considered rude. (All-smalls is only slightly less annoying, as it's difficult to read. Alan Cox can get away with it, but you can't.)

More generally, if you write like a semi-literate boob you will very likely be ignored. Writing like a l33t script kiddie hax0r is the absolute kiss of death and guarantees you will receive nothing but stony silence (or, at best, a heaping helping of scorn and sarcasm) in return."

If you can't be bothered to take some time to present your problem in an easy-to-read manner, I can't be bothered to read it... ;) Xeper, I thoroughly agree with you - the schools aren't to blame - that's a loser excuse to avoid being responsible for the fact that a certain person probably spent all their time mucking about in class and generally being a tit...?

Best,

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

Well said . .

11. terryxp

terryxp

Funkmeister... that's a bit much to ask, as some forum posters are youngsters. But, using at LEAST proper punctuation makes it easier for the reader to get the jist of the question. One big long paragraph all running together like chicken scratches makes it difficult to understand just what TF the poster is trying to say....

12. Funkmeister

Funkmeister

Appreciate your point of view, TerryXP, however I could spell and punctuate properly by the age of 7 and the fundamental principle applies whether you're 10 or 60: someone who takes the time to be thorough and careful will do likewise when solving their issue. The guy who wrote requesting help is not stupid - he simply requires assistance. Do I plough my free time into someone who irritates me (and has thus far ignored the concept of punctuation and grammar, instead choosing to shift the blame for his own shortcomings elsewhere so that he may be comfortable in his ignorance of accepted communication), or do I spend time helping someone who has bothered to communicate successfully? Simple, it's the second guy regardless of age or problem.

And I did point out that it was only a snippet from a superb document (the link is in my signature) and seemed relevant!

I heard once about a young person who applied for a job vacancy written in the style of a text message! Can you imagine that? :)

Dear Sir, I thnk I wld b rlly gd in this job cos I hv bn 2 uni 4 3 yrs and got a dgree...

I take as much pride in my text messages and Instant Messenging as I do in all my written communication including this site (see some of my previous posts!). I think in the same way that appearance plays a strong part in creating a first impression, so does the quality of your writing.

It shows attention to detail and consideration and those are qualities I respect! :)

Best,

13. utternutter

hi every 1 please do not read any further if you expect to find any form of punctuaition in this message this may upset certain members so beware i have taken control of my sons account to write this message he joined this web site expecting to get advice on a problem he had with his pc instead he found that certain members think that they have the right to judge people from behind a monitor its plain that one member attitude is not far of bullying i hope he is really proud of himself and i think he should take stock of his life and look deep into his past and wonder where he was when they gave a lesson on manners perhaps in was in hospital after being beaten up by all the tits in his class

14. Xeper

Xeper

Let's decode this.

Hi everyone!, please do not read any further if you expect to find any form of punctuaition in this message. This may upset certain members so beware I have taken control of my sons account to write this message.
    He joined this website expecting to get advice on a problem he had with his pc. Instead he found that certain members think that they have the right to judge people from behind a monitor.
    It's plain that one members attitude is not far of bullying. I hope he is really proud of himself and I think he should take stock of his life and look deep into his past and wonder where he was when they gave a lesson on manners. Perhaps in was in hospital after being beaten up by all the tits in his class.

Now that we translated this we commence to comment on the message from dad:

Hi everyone!, Hello sir,please do not read any further if you expect to find any form of punctuaition in this message.Didn't expect it This may upset certain members, It's ok, I am used to people who can't spell so beware I have taken control of my sons account to write this message.No problem
    He joined this website expecting to get advice on a problem he had with his pc. Yet I had to use all my powers to decode his message and then I gava adviceInstead he found that certain members think that they have the right to judge people from behind a monitor. Damn right :p
    It's plain that one members attitude is not far of bullying. Is it? I think of it as more like TEACHINGI hope he is really proud of himself Yes I am, thanksand I think he should take stock of his life and look deep into his past and wonder where he was when they gave a lesson on manners.At the same place where you where when they taught proper English Perhaps in was in hospital after being beaten up by all the tits in his class. Uhm, no.

Disclaimer: The message was so messed up it was hard to translate, I probably miossed some errors. And my native language is not English, it's Dutch, I try my best to talk English, please do not comment too much on my English, when you can talk Dutch as well as I can talk English then you are free to comment.

15. Funkmeister

Funkmeister

Xeper,

I think that one was aimed at me mate! Nothing like a good ol' flame war is there? ;) I think the moral of the story is, "If they're shooting at you, you're doing something right!"

What a sad sequence of events. Young Paul comes by with a legitimate problem which he posts (badly) on the forum. There is a distinct lack of people flocking to offer advice, primarily because it's so difficult to read his post. A couple of people offer advice to Paul as to how he may effect a more beneficial response to his problem - the response is barbed and the advice ignored. I would have immediately offered up the solution had Paul's response been something along the lines of, "Hi everyone, thanks for your support and advice so far. Apologies for my spelling and punctuation, they've never been my strong point but I'll do my best to make things clear...etc etc" I would have responded well to this - it is a yardstick as to how willing to accept advice and guidance he really is.

Now Paul, I don't think your Dad's really involved is he? Unless - when it comes to punctuation and grammar - it really is a case of like father, like son... And the comments about beating people up in class tells me all I need to know. Now you need the help of an intelligent technical person (who only learned from school as you had the opportunity to) who probably qualified as a geek at school? Perhaps you should have spent less time beating people up and more time learning like I did.

And as for judging people from behind a monitor? Well, I'll judge you from wherever you damn well like as I have the answers, you don't and your attitude sucks. Simple.

It would be easy for all to assume that I am an unpleasant person yet my response would have been wholly different should Utternutter (lol) have responded differently to my initial post. I will go to a lot of trouble to help people solve their problems if they prove themselves worthy of the answer by being a decent person who is willing to take advice and learn from others.

Oh, and my Dad's bigger than your Dad... ;)

Best,

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice