1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help - Urget - University Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krenum, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krenum

krenum Thread Starter

I was adding some new ram to my teachers computer tonight (uni computer with all the billing info on it)
    It turns out one ram was ecc and the other was non-ecc. so i took it out.
    after i took it out i got a blue screen of death and "mem overflow".

The error is telling me its shutting down windows to protect the computer from damage.
    The bios tells me that the harddrive is there. But when i try to reinstall windows, it says it cant find a harddrive.

Can anyone tell me what went wrong?
    all proper procedures were followed (ie power was offer when things were removed etc).

Thanks in advance!

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

We need a bit more information to help with this:

Make and model of the PC?
    Is the hard drive SATA or IDE?
    What OS are you trying to install?
    Why is a re-install required, what problems were occurring?

3. krenum

krenum Thread Starter

Dude, Its a Dell.(bit of a joke)

the computer was working perfectly fine until i added new ram. Is it possible Adding ram, or bad ram or incompatatable ram would fry it? The slot fit was perfect for all of it.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You haven't told us what type of RAM is now installed. For most computers that are not servers, it should be non-ECC. What is the Dell service tag number? This will help us determine what RAM should be used, and possibly the hard drive type.

5. krenum

krenum Thread Starter

Turns out when i was swapping the ram, it was changing a bios setting automatically.
    It changed the sata from ATA to ATHI

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

I really need you to answer "all" my questions so I can get a good picture of the situation.

If it is a laptop, did you remove the battery before changing the RAM? as that could cause some damage to the RAM module. If it is a desktop then it is unlikely you will have done any damage with it unplugged.

As the RAM you have added is different to that which was working ok, have you since removed it leaving the original RAM in place?

Please answer all my questions from my previous post and the ones in this post as I don't have a very clear picture at the moment.

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I have had more ram added in quite a few of my laptops and never had anything in the BIOS get changed from ATA to AHCI if thats what you mean.If it was on the ATA setting its more than likely running windows xp. AHCI is for running windows 7 and vista.Unless im missing my guess when you add or change ram the only thing it should do is show up in the BIOS as to how much is in there and not change any other settings.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice