NEED help using Partition Majic....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CALPOLY

Hi All,

A friend gave me a CD with partition majic cuz i need to join my D & E drive together. I have a total of 120GB but its split like this:

D drive : 90GB
E drive : 30GB and this is where the programs folder is

So does anyone know what im supposed to do? Please take me through the steps on joining these 2 drives together. Im afraid cuz they give a warning if i do it wrong i might lose all my files.

Thanks!

What is in the 90 gig drive? By "programs", do you mean that your "Program Files" folder is on that drive and programs are installed there? How much free space do you have on each of the drives?

Where is Windows installed?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Partition Magic has a large warning about backing up before you do any operation, and it's good advice. I've had problems in the past with the PM merge function, so that's the last operation I'd recommend, and you sure should be backed up before performing it!

You should have backup even when you aren't doing something like this, what happens if your drive dies tomorrow?

DoubleHelix

Banned
If you installed all your programs to a certain drive letter, combining that partition with another one and eliminating that drive letter will almost definitely cause problems. The system won't know where to find any of the program files. You may be able to edit shortcuts and the registry, but it'll be time consuming to say the least.

Next time, keep your programs on the same partition as Windows.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Good catch DoubleHelix, I didn't even think of that issue, I was too worried about all the data disappearing into the ether. :D

CALPOLY

yea my program files folder is in the smaller drive (E) and im running out of space on that drive which means i cant download any more programs on there. Even when i put songs on my iTunes for iPod, it takes up space.

So i figured i can just have ONE BIG 120GB drive; joining D & E

I do have all my files backed up.

Windows is installed in E drive

So....can someone take me through the steps? :)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The first step is going to be to re-install Windows and the applications! You can't move the drive letter all around for install applications or Windows without a LOT of trouble.

CALPOLY

install windows before i do this ? im a little confused.
Anyway, i dont have the windows cd and the applications, i can back whater up on my external but i dont have a windows xp cd to re install after the majic.

When using Partition Magic, I would not directly merge disks. I lost all my data when doing that once but luckily had backed it up.

The way to do the merge with Partition Magic is to move all your files to the disk that will remain. In your case, it would be the one with your programs as long as Windows is one of those programs.

After moving all the files off the partition that will be deleted, then go ahead and just delete that partition and then resize the remaining drive (the one with your programs and Windows.

If you have Windows one one partition and your other programs on another partition for some reason, you will most likely have to reinstall your programs because the merge function is not completely reliable about merging and then relocating all the program files. When I have done that, some will work but most won't work reliably.

If you merge the larger drive into the smaller, the Program Files folder should be unaffected and your programs should still run properly. All the data contained in the larger partition will be relocated into a folder on the new partition. If you are told during the merge that the programs on your E: drive will be relocated into a folder, then you are merging in the wrong direction and need to go back and choose the other partition to merge. You want the files and folders on the E: drive to stay as they are.

If it turns out that you can't merge in that direction because of the amount of data on your drives, then you can merge in the opposite direction and then move the Program Files folder from the folder on the new partition in which they will have been placed. You can then change the drive letter, if necessary, so that it is E: again and your programs should still run since they are then in the same relationship to your installation as they were before. Don't allow PM to covert the programs to run on any drive letter other than the original since this process is never completely successful.

I have done this innumerable times with Acronis Disk Director with no problems whatsoever, but have not done so with PM for quite a while. Considering the above advice, and always before a major operation of this type, you should back up all your data in case the worst happens.

And by all means, run a chkdsk /f on each drive before starting any project. Minor disk errors can ruin the whole process.

DoubleHelix

Banned
By not having a Windows CD or any way of reinstalling your applications, you're taking a huge risk. Unless you've taken a full image of the system, you won't be able to restore the system if something goes wrong.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The problem with merging the partitions with programs installed is the drive letter of the installed applications will change, which will cause the applications to stop working.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online