Need Help w/ Vid Card - 640x480 8 bit!?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kyyyle

I think the problem is with my video card but it COULD be something to do with my monitor. I have Windows XP. My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700.

Ever since I reformatted my computer, I havn't been able to get my video card working. When I install the video card using my "3D Graphic Accelerator" disc, the resolution in Display Properties changes to 640x480 and the color quality changes to Low (8 bit). The screen really looks the same as before the video card was installed though. I guess this is because I have to restart for it to take effect? If I try to restart it goes through it's normal thing but instead of it going to the blue screen that says 'Welcome' and has the list of users, the screen goes black. After I install the video card, if I try to change the crappy resolution or color quality, the screen goes black there too.

After this happens, I have to run in safe mode. The computer will not start up in the normal mode. In safe mode if I go into Device Manager and disable NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 under Display Adapter, I am able to start up in normal mode. So what exactly am I doing wrong? Could it be something wrong with my monitor? Everything is plugged in fine. I have had this problems for a couple of weeks.

This problem has gotten so annoying and I really just don't know what to do. If anyone can help, I will love you forever.

Gday Kyyyle, these kinds of problems can be really annoying, so the machine did originally work well with this monitor and card, that leaves us with a possible problem with drivers.
The description you give sounds like some problem with the driver database, probably some kind of corrupted driver problem.
The reason this can be such a problem is that once there is a corrupted driver loaded it probably keeps trying to load and causes your problem.
Obviously you can get the system up in the safe mode, so that is good, you will need to work from there. (Hopefully you are running XP)
Google a video driver removal tool for your card, or go to the manufacturer site and see if you can find a video driver removal tool there, if you can get that and unzip it or whatever is necessary then put it on some media that can be read in "safe mode" then you should be able to load it and run the removal program. This will clear the installed driver that is most likely causing your problem and put you back at square one.
Now ensure you have the correct driver for your video card, you may have to read the destruction manual, some drivers have different loading requirements and cause problems if not properly followed.

When you reloaded windows did you ensure the correct motherboard drivers were loaded, sometimes they are special and need to be loaded to allow the whole thing to work properly.

Cheers, qldit.

When you reinstalled XP, did you also install all the motherboard drivers etc? If not, the graphics card will never work correctly. From the symptoms, that is exactly what the problem sounds like.

Scorp.

kyyyle

Thanks for the replies.

Not installing the motherboard drivers might be the problem, considering I don't exactly know what the "motherboard drivers" are.

I actually have a disc that says 'Motherboard Utilities'. It had some stuff on it called chipset drivers or something. Could those be it? Most of them seemed to be for my sound or my USB thing so I figured they had nothing to do with my video card. There was a thing called VIA 4IN1 Driver which I'm not sure exactly what it is. I installed all these things and still have the same problem. Maybe it is because I need to install them before I install my video card?

Also, on the disc that I use to install my video card, there is a thing called 3D Stereo. Do I need that? I guess it wouldn't hurt to get it anyways but I just now noticed it and I hadn't installed it before.

G'day kyyyle, well if that was all the drivers you had then that is all you can do.
Yes in the case of a VIA chipset the 4 in 1 is the needed thingo, that has the board drivers. They are forever being updated.
The other stuff is superflous, the USB is a good idea to load, but the audio 3d stereo has probably been replaced by generic XP drivers, you obviously have sound so it is up to you whether you load that other stuff. I generally like to stop while I am in front.
If you go into your control panel and have a look at the devices, (device manager) the item you are interested in is the display adapter, (another name for video card) if you open that applet you will probably see a yellow exclamation mark to indicate the device is not functioning properly.
The problem with the driver database within windows is that often deleting the item and rebooting only allows the "found new hardware" to load the old drivers from it's database. So you might appreciate if you have a problem driver it keeps being reloaded and causing problems. That is why I suggested the driver removal tool, this actually gets in removes those applicable drivers.
If you cant overcome the problem, try getting an old PCI video card (should cost a couple of dollars at a sunday market) and fitting it, that will allow you to operate the system normally to remove any malfunctioning driver. (making sure your normal video card is phisically removed, ensure the power plug is removed from the machine before touching anything inside the case, this protects the components to an extent)
Have a close read of your motherboard manual and the readme on your CD.
When all else fails it is often a good idea to think about comtemplating reading the destructions. LOL.
Cheers, qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online