1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help Wiping Computer (Discs Involved)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OfficerBooty, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OfficerBooty

OfficerBooty Thread Starter

Hello! My name is Chris and I need help. I recently discovered a ton of viruses on my computer and, upon becoming fed-up with them, I decided to do a 100% system erase. However, I decided to restore my computer to factory settings instead. This didn't, however, erase most of the viruses. This is where I need help. A while back, I needed to install a new hard drive into my computer and I got a few discs to go with it. This completely got rid of the viruses I originally had and basically made my computer 100% brand new. I can't figure out how to get the discs to work again. These are the discs I have:

System Recovery DVD
    Windows 7 Recovery Media for Windows 7 Products
    Service Pack 1

^ I have all 3 of the discs needed with that same title.

Application and Driver Recovery DVD

^ I have the only required disc for this.

Now there's really no need to tell me to backup my information, because I really don't have information to backup. I restored my computer to factory settings and the viruses are still there. I'd just like to know how to get started in completely erasing my computer and reinstalling everything just the way I did when I put in a new hard drive. Please help me ASAP because I'm a full-time college student and this is the only computer I have. Thank you for taking the time to read this! c:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    did you do a repair or a re-install

you should put the recovery Disk into the DVD and make sure that the DVD is the first device to boot

once the DVD is booted - you should be able to completely format the harddrive and re-install windows onto the PC back to factory condition

3. OfficerBooty

OfficerBooty Thread Starter

I did a repair because I didn't know how to do a re-install. I also need to know how to make sure that the DVD is the first device to boot. I think that's my only problem. Also, which DVD do I insert first? The first DVD out of 3 or the one with the drivers? Just making sure I do it right.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You would start with disk 1. The driver disk would be used after the os is installed. To access the bios/setup, I believe it is the F10 key however read your manual. Each bios [and sometimes even each revision] has different menus/options so it is difficult to give you exact instructions. The option you are looking for should be under Boot in the bios.

I looked online and you may have a quick boot menu [this allows you to select a boot device without having to change the bios] It shows esc then F9 to access the quick boot menu however again read your manual.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Chris:

You appear to have a HP Pavilion dv6 series laptop.

What's the complete model number on it? There should be a dash and additional characters after dv6.

What's the part/product number(P/N) on it?

------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice