1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help wiping & starting over!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by nickib622, Feb 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nickib622

nickib622 Thread Starter

Okay, so I have an HP P7-1225 which was purchased in 2012. After using the malware/virus removal experts on this site (thank you very much!), I have fixed most of my problems. However, for some reason my system has "decided" that there is no audio output device installed, which is false.

The last piece of advice from the malware/virus forum was to backup everything important (files, programs, etc.) and wipe my system and reinstall Windows 7.

I am terrified of doing this myself, but with expert help from here, I am ready.

I could not find any type of system disc that came with this PC, so I believe that there wasn't one provided. I did use the System Recovery feature and created a flash drive of my system. I am hoping this is what I need, since I got the message that it WAS created successfully and that you can only create this once.

I am really in need of step by step help doing a couple of things:

1. Making sure that I really DO have everything I need for the fallout (I found the Microsoft Office disc that I purchased, so I have that and the flash drive (which I believe has my operating system on ?????????????????).

2. Backing up my files and extra programs (even ones that I do not have the discs for?) - will my external hard drive suffice for this?

Thank you to anyone who knows how to do this correctly. I would be very grateful for any and all help!

Waiting patiently . . .

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HP Pavilion p7-1225 Desktop PC

You may need to reinstall the driver for its Realtek high definition audio device.

Here is the troubleshooting section concerning the error message about the audio device not being installed in Windows 7.

------------------------------------------------------

3. nickib622

nickib622 Thread Starter

Thanks Flavallee, I already tried that route, and more, but (sigh), nothing worked. I will review the troubleshooting section you posted and reply again. Thank you.

4. nickib622

nickib622 Thread Starter

Tried what you posted under troubleshooting, but unfortunately I still have the same error.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

5. billmcct

billmcct

First Name:
    Bill
    Click Start type recovery manager. Click at the top on Recovery Manager to open it. On the left side click Hardware driver reinstallation and click next. Reinstall this way to see if that will help.

Bill

6. nickib622

nickib622 Thread Starter

Done. Unfortunately it didn't work.

7. valis

valis Moderator

can you let us know what device manager says?

start > run > sysdm.cpl > hardware tab > I think advanced from there, but I'm doing it from memory currently. Basically we need to see if there are any driver errors that the OS sees.

8. nickib622

nickib622 Thread Starter

Okay, I'm not sure where to go from here, but this is what the screenshot shows when I do the above . . . see attached.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

9. valis

valis Moderator

my error. Apologies, I'm on mobile, lunch with my son.

Click the hardware tab, then device manager. Again, what we are looking for is either red X's or yellow exclamation points in there.

thanks,

v

10. nickib622

nickib622 Thread Starter

Unfortunately (?) no unusual icons there . . . see attached.

No apologies necessary, sorry to intrude on your lunch with your son - go enjoy and reply later!

Attached Files:

11. valis

valis Moderator

no worries, save one.

I'm on android currently, and will be the rest of the day unless something at work requires me to remote in. Reason I say that is I'd like to check your audio properties and see what they are set at wrt to headphones, output, enabled, etc.

so I'll probably have to watch from here out for today.

thanks,

v

12. nickib622

nickib622 Thread Starter

Okay, when you are able to do so, just tell me what to do next and I will. Enjoy your day and thanks again!

13. valis

valis Moderator

I'm hoping someone else can step in. ;)

14. nickib622

nickib622 Thread Starter

Anyone?

15. Crazy10

Crazy10

Have you tried installing the driver in Safe Mode?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice