need help with 2nd hard drive and noisy PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DeWitch

I have PC that I just lost the 100 GB hard drive on - we had two 80 GB hard drives installed so that I could use one for the operating system and the other for storage - but I don't know what I am doing:(
I make Outlook Express Stationery and have lots of it saved on CDs because I had a bad feeling I was going to lose it all and I would have been right. But all the paths are written to the way my PC was set up with just one hard drive - So I guess I will have to rewrite all my stats - anyway, am I going to be able to reformat the main drive and not lose what is on the 2nd drive if I do this? That was my main reason for wanting a second drive - I also do lots of graphics and take lost of photos and hate to lose them naturally -
I am probably in the wrong place to be asking about that stuff but I do have a hardware question too
The PC has always been on the noisy side but now it is ridiculous and it vibrates the whole desk -
I have a GeForce FX 5200 video card in it
Windows XP Home Edition
AMD Athlon (tm) XP 2200+ processor
1GB RAM
I sure wish I understood all your techy language here cuz I read a lot before I dared to sign up to post but just got more confused
Hoping someone can help
Thanks,
DeWitch
~ De Witch & De Kidz ~
The moon is my silver ~ The sun is my gold
Heaven will not Heaven be if my furbabies aren't there for me
~ DeZignz by DeWitch ~
~ My Portfolio ~

I'm not sure how many HD's you've got there, but if you have them hooked up in the usual master/slave formation (which is likely) formatting one of the drives will not do anything to the data on the other one.

As to the noise usually it's a fan, but sometimes CD drives can be quite noisy or HD's if they are dying. Take your cover off and listen.

DeWitch

Hi - I have just 2 hard drives both 80 GB - I have not even set the PC back up to use since having them put it because I was a little lost - I am on my old clunker -
the main drive has my windows etc on it and the additional one has nothing yet -
The two hard drives are brand new Seagate so hopefully that is not the probem with the noise:(
I wondered about the fan and also wondered if a bad fan could have ruined my first 100 GB hard drive that we had to have replaced

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome. If I am understanding you correctly, and you have two hard drives each one can be formatted individually without losing the contents on the other.

DeWitch

AcaCandy said:
Hi and welcome. If I am understanding you correctly, and you have two hard drives each one can be formatted individually without losing the contents on the other.
Hi Aca Candy
I am also Candy - Candace actually
Thank you - this is what I was hoping but then I read somewhere that someone had done this and when they reformatted the first drive the PC would not recognize the second drive any more and that scared me :eek:

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Well, I always recommend disconnecting the one you don't want to format, just as an added precaution ;) I have had some individuals figure out how to zap both on one format, but I still quite haven't figured out how they did it :eek:

DeWitch

AcaCandy said:
Well, I always recommend disconnecting the one you don't want to format, just as an added precaution ;) I have had some individuals figure out how to zap both on one format, but I still quite haven't figured out how they did it :eek:
Hi!
now remember I am a dummy here :rolleyes: - do you mean actually take it out? -
I really hate being stupid:(

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Simply unplugging it will make sure you don't mix the drives up.

DeWitch

AcaCandy said:
Simply unplugging it will make sure you don't mix the drives up.
ha ha - okay I could probably figure that out - would be easier if I was more into the innards of the beast:)
thank you

DeWitch

OMG!!!
just notice norton850 is from Bennington Vt. - I was just there last weekend - I was born in Vermont - we were out for a weekend drive and ended up in Bennington - last time we were there was for the Hemmings Motor Show - I LOVE Bennington
DeWitch

Hi DeWitch

If you were born here then you know that summer's over and winter should start sometime soon :) Although it looks like you're not too far away in NH.

DeWitch

norton850 said:
Hi DeWitch

If you were born here then you know that summer's over and winter should start sometime soon :) Although it looks like you're not too far away in NH.
Did we have summer???
yes I love Autumn it is my most favorite season - but I truly have come to despise winter because it lasts so long and where I am now is even worse than where I was born (Bellows Falls) - we are in a major snow belt - it can be beautiful everywhere and snowing here and lasts way into spring:(
I would love to be as far south as you are in Bennington

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts