1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with an old hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mtony40068, Jan 8, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Mtony40068

Mtony40068 Thread Starter

I have an old hard drive from a laptop that stopped turning on for a reason I still cant figure out. However I plugged the hard drive into my working tower and it shows but it wont allow me to see any of the information like pictures to pull off of it. It just says I need admin permission and I even tried booting from the drive but it just says that windows cant start and the windows repair does nothing. Any ideas?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You cannot expect it to load windows when the drive data and therefore all the drivers, registry entries and indeed the boot configuration data are from another computer.
    If you connect the drive to the tower usb then you might be able to obtain your data
    Alternatively boot the computer from a Linux disc and see if that will allow you to obtain your data

3. Mtony40068

Well I have hard drive dock and I plug it into there and I see all the same stuff when I plug it into the computer itself I dont need the drive to boot I just need to find the data I need and it won't even show my user on that drive so I just dont know how to find and access the data I need

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

5. Mtony40068

Drive is not asking for a password and it says I have full access to all the files I just dont know how to find the files I need still maybe the picture will help this is everything on the drive where would I be able to find pictures

Attached Files:

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I cannot tell you where you saved pics; only you would know that info. Normally you would find pics in users>whatever user name you used>pictures however as I said, you can save things just about anywhere.
    Do a search ie *.*jpeg for pics. You can try a few other formats as well *.*bmp or gif.

BTW *.* means to include all with the suffix.

7. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Check the contents of the users folder
    OR do you mean that your data is not in that users folder
    As I said boot the computer with Linux see if that will allow you to access - if you mean you still cannot access the data in the users folder or other folders.
    OR as my colleague said check ownership

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice