1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help With an Old Packard Bell

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BOSSMAN22, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BOSSMAN22

BOSSMAN22 Thread Starter

My kids PC took a lightning hit. It was an old Packard Bell Multimedia 850. When I turn it on the hard drive comes on but there is no picture. I assumed it was a bad video card, but when I opened it there wasn't a video card just an adapter that's hooked to the motherboard. I've tried like hell to get this thing off but to no avail.

Anyone have any suggestions or any ideas on where I can an online manual for this computer?

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, If you have tried getting the chip off the motherboard, it is probably shot and might have have been anyway as you suspect- just hope you have not damaged the motherboard. They are pretty easy to scratch or crack and if that is the case it's history.
    PBs use a proprietary motherboard but you could perhaps install a new one- it depends on the size of the old one and how they did the screw hole arrangement whether a retail one not exactly the same would be able to go right in. There is always the trusty old drill- you would have to make some holes in the case and put in some new mounts is all, that can be done.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/pbmother.html#id
    First take a look at this site and see if you can ID the system and motherboard using what they show you- that should allow you to find the system manual, or just post back with the motherboard ID and I can look for a manual. Below is only if you need help or can't find the info as Ray's site shows, OK?
    Anyhow- there are some sites with PB information, but I need a few things.....can you look all over the motherboard and tell me if you see something like this: PBxxx it might be 850, might not, it is usually printed direct to the board in white along an edge or might be on a stickon label.
    Next- on the back of case near power supply should be a plate with two long 10 or so digit numbers like this: N or Pxxxxxxxxxx
    please post those....may need them to find the right manual. There is a website where anyone can type in the ID number and get downloads, manuals for PBs but it is not the easiest site to get around. OK- post back.

3. BOSSMAN22

BOSSMAN22 Thread Starter

Byteman,

It's an 850 according to the sticker. The SN is P285400054G. Thanks for the assistance.

Bossman

4. Byteman

Hi, Most people reply exactly as you did, thinking the 850 is all I need....if you go to the link I posted, and find the motherboard ID which is different than the system model number (it's PB method-it does suck but thats the way they wanted it I guess) :p

The way to find the ID info on the back sticker is shown down the page....in a picture. No problem- its just a quicker way than me going to the support site, signing in and hunting...

5. BOSSMAN22

BOSSMAN22 Thread Starter

Sorry about that Byteman I should've read your email more carefully. I went to the website and the MB850 is the motherboard that I have. It doesn't say it anywhere on the chasis but it matched the photo. Thanks again for your help.

Bossman

6. Byteman

Hi, We need to be about what video chip adapter you had on that system, this is why I am trying to help you ID the motherboard, it does no good to guess. Even if the pic looks very similar, the motherboard you have could be different...
    On the motherboard itself.....it should SAY PB850 or what it is....try that then we wont have to wonder.
    You should only need to get a PCI video card and install it to have video again....have any around with drivers disk?
    I doubt you have an AGP slot....they are brown, while PCI slots are white, in case you need that info....take a look and see.
    AGP is much better if junior is a gamer. There are some pretty good PCI around, but you will need to get one to get anything to work....unless you want to try gettting the old adapter to work?
    I'll try and look for a manual but I am at work, so might be a few. I did not see any MB850 shown....there is an 860...

7. BOSSMAN22

BOSSMAN22 Thread Starter

If it hrow a video card in the open slot do I need to disable the onboard videa adapter and if so, how?

8. Brockman

Brockman

i have a old socket 5 packard bell motherboard. its new just old stock, for free.

9. Byteman

Hi, Usually, in system Setup/BIOS there is an option located in one of the categories to do what you want. Hit the key it tells y ou when you start up....might be DEL, or one of the Fkeys....F2 maybe....look through the categories by using right and left arrow keys on keyboard, you change values in each setting by using page up down or + and - keys.....hit Enter on a setting to see the available options. Help usually displays at bottom or side of each screen. Good luck. I can help better in about an hour....digging holes for concrete for a new deck at a customer's home. Serious- I have a notebook connected to dialup inside and on breaks I check the threads....back in a short while.
    You will also have to remove the video adapter from Device Manager....that will set up the Standard Graphics adapter, looks crappy as that has only 16 colors....but when you install the new card, load drivers for it, you will be able to switch to 16-BIT color depth. Look for an entry in Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the old video drivers....BUT if you want to try reinstalling them for the chip you have onboard....do not remove them until you try, unless you have the Restore disk and can use it to reinstall the old drivers...hope you understand this. If you have a card, you can try installing it after you do the above steps....no guarantee you will have drivers for the OLD adapter unless as I said....you have the CD from PBell... they should be available online, too it is just a pain finding them.

10. BOSSMAN22

BOSSMAN22 Thread Starter

Brockman, I'd hate to take it from you and have it not work. Thanks for the offer.

11. BOSSMAN22

BOSSMAN22 Thread Starter

Byteman don't worry about it. I didn't mean to interrupt you at work.

12. Byteman

You aren't! the holes are dug and concrete is getting put in them...so I have some time now. Check what the device manager says the Display adapter is....record the make and model....
    Any yellow ! marks or red x's on the Display adapter on the PB?

13. BOSSMAN22

BOSSMAN22 Thread Starter

I would check but I get no video.

14. Byteman

Hi, Yes- my fault, forgot you were in that condition...when you restart, you see absolutely nothing? If that is case....shut down, power down, unplug the pc for 10 minutes....or, pop the battery out on the motherboard for 5-10 minutes...there may be a jumper next to the round battery which will let you reset the CMOS....it might give you entry to BIOS to set things as you need to. You may have a slightly bad power supply if you had bad surge go through even with a surge protector. RAM is another suspect...try one thing at a time, please....try resetting the BIOS by taking the battery out for time....put it back, restart....anything on screen> if it says Loading Setup Defaults....quickly hit the key to enter BIOS and save and exit. If you can see anything when you restart at any time....keep tapping the F8 key if you get the menu, choose Safe Mode which is Windows without some drivers...it may get to the desktop so you can work, install a new video card, etc.

15. BOSSMAN22

BOSSMAN22 Thread Starter

Thanks Byteman I'll give it a try. The kids are bugging me to use the only working computer in the house. I'll let you know how it turns out either later tonight or tomorrow.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice