1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help with Asus K53E Running Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Tesla77, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tesla77

Tesla77 Thread Starter

So, this morning, after shutting my laptop for a little bit and coming back to it, I found myself confronted with a black screen reading "ERROR UNEXPECTED I\O PROBLEM ERROR:0x00000e9", so I tried a few things, but F8 wouldn't work so I inserted my Recovery disk and this allowed me to access the boot menu, but I cannot seem to get anything to run or boot off the disk except the system restore function. Safe Mode won't work so I can't run CHKDISK to see what the actual problem is, the little loading screen with the Windows logo on the black screen appears and then it says "LOADING WINDOWS FILES" if by this point I have hit F8, it will take me to the boot menu, but if I don't I get a background picture with the ASUS logo and an AI Recovery window asking me "Are you ready to restore this image" which will apparently overwrite my hard drive. Now, I'm reluctant to do this as I have a lot of stuff on this that isn't backed up and which I would prefer not to lose. I did drop my laptop about three months ago, and the casing was damaged, but I don't think that had that destroyed the memory, it would have taken this long for the problem to manifest itself.

If anyone can help me fix this in a way which doesn't overwrite my hard drive I'd be incredibly grateful.

2. EpicNetworkGroup

EpicNetworkGroup

If you happen to know the manufacturer of your hard drive, they usually make a boot disk so you can run diagnostics on the drive. See if it catches anything...

ENG

3. Tesla77

Tesla77 Thread Starter

How do I figure out who manufactured my HD and how to get the correct boot disk?

4. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

You can either take the HDD out and connect it to another PC and see if you can access it or you can try

http://www.ubuntu.com/ or http://www.knoppix.net/

Download from another PC and burn to disc and boot from it and see if you can access your files.

5. EpicNetworkGroup

EpicNetworkGroup

You can just remove the cover from the back of the laptop to get the mfg and model of your drive. Then hit the mfg's website and download their bootable DOS disk. Run it and see what it comes up with. If the drive gets tripped in SMART mode or has bad sectors your pretty much toast unless you pay the $$ to have the drive recovered.

6. Tesla77

Tesla77 Thread Starter

Okay, so my HDD's make and model is: WDC WD6400BPVT-80HXZT3, I'm not exactly sure how find the bootable disk, I looked, but didn't see anything. Does anyone know where on Western Digital's website one can find the downloadable recovery disks?

7. Megabite

Megabite

8. EpicNetworkGroup

EpicNetworkGroup

Here are the links for the software diagnostics:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=702&sid=2&lang=en

You may need to burn this file (dldiag5.exe) to CD and boot from your Win7 boot disk and get to a command prompt. Insert the Western Digital CD you burned and see if you can run the diagnostics.

UPDATE: If you install the Data LifeGuard software for Windows on working computer. There is a utility where can create a boot disk and use that on your laptop.

9. Tesla77

Tesla77 Thread Starter

Okay, I can do everything but get to a command prompt, how do I get to that? I've burned the disk, but I still can't find a windows 7 boot disk.

10. EpicNetworkGroup

EpicNetworkGroup

If you don't have your original Windows 7 CD, you'll have to create a bootable CD. I like to use the ultimate boot cd which contains a lot of diagnostic utilities (including WD's Data LifeGuard).

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

Download from one of the mirror sites at the bottom of the page.

You'll need to download the .iso file and burn the image using a burning application like Roxio or Nero. Boot from this CD so you can run the diagnostics. Try running the Data Lifeguard diags from this CD first (most likely under HDD). If it doesn't catch anything, I would run the diags from the CD your created as well just to make sure.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice