1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help With Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IBwebin, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IBwebin

IBwebin Thread Starter

O.K. You all should know by now that I'm such a novice at this stuff that I don't know a BYTE from a BIT. But I'm trying...GOING to learn! So, with that said, I need some info: I have an old MAGITRONIC computer that already has Win95 in it. What I need to do is to set up the thing so that it will boot from a floppy. I think it now boots from the CD Rom, since the CD lights up when the thing boots. This is a Pentium 1, but I need it for a special application. I also need to know how to configure it to accept a dial-up modem, which it now rejects if I plug one in...it won't boot all the way. I know this is probably not enough info. I think I have the manual to the Motherboard, so let me know what you need. Thanks in advance!

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi- Most of the new 56k modems will not run with a slow processor- the limit is about 100mhz. There are hardware modems that even work in DOS....win3.1.....look for one of those, or an external modem with those features. I have one that works off the old serial ports, like where the screw on type of mouse cable used to go. Works great.
    There are also, ISA Plug N Play modems, that are jumperless, that work pretty well, for older systems that either do not have PCI slots or fast CPUs.
    In the system BIOS, you can change the boot device priority- get in when it boots, should tell you what key to use, like DEL....enter screens by using the left right arrows, look for something like Boot Device, First Boot Device....change first boot device to A: if it will let you, some have quite a selection....The Windws CDz are bootable, so you could tell by putting one in and trying to boot.

3. Rockn

Rockn

WHy do you need it to boot to DOS? Is there a DOS communications program that will not run from a DOS window from within Windows?

4. IBwebin

IBwebin Thread Starter

I do not need to boot from DOS. I need to get it to boot from the floppy.

5. Byteman

If you have been using a good bootdisk, and cannot boot, but you see the light on the floppy drive blink....hear no drive clicking from floppy drive.....you may just have to change the boot sequence settings in the BIOS as I posted.
    There may be a bootdisk problem, in that case tho, you would have seen a message.
    Help narrow it down by looking at the boot entries in BIOS if you can, and post what is set to boot first. To change say the CDROM to Floppy, just hit Enter on the device listed to be the first it boots from, a list should let you select "A,C,SCSI" or some other combinations that have floppy (A ) as the first device to boot from. You then have to SAVE AND EXIT the BIOS as it tells you, by hitting a key like F10...but, this may be different for your system. it might tell you on the side of the screen in BIOS what to do to save and exit. When you reboot, get situated, shut it down or restart with a floppy bootable disk in, see what happens.
    What appears on your screen when you boot- where the drives are configured after the memory count? 1.44MB floppy drive, or something else? Take that modem out, too!

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you want to boot to DOS and use a modem, you'll can't use the typical WinModem that's usually sold nowadays. I'd suggest an external serial connected modem, they're the easiest to get running with DOS.

7. Byteman

johnwill- I posted that information already. My posts must be in invisible mode lately...:confused: Back about 3 posts:::
    Hi- Most of the new 56k modems will not run with a slow processor- the limit is about 100mhz. There are hardware modems that even work in DOS....win3.1.....look for one of those, or an external modem with those features. I have one that works off the old serial ports, like where the screw on type of mouse cable used to go. Works great.
    There are also, ISA Plug N Play modems, that are jumperless, that work pretty well, for older systems that either do not have PCI slots or fast CPUs.
    In the system BIOS, you can change the boot device priority- get in when it boots, should tell you what key to use, like DEL....enter screens by using the left right arrows, look for something like Boot Device, First Boot Device....change first boot device to A: if it will let you, some have quite a selection....The Windws CDz are bootable, so you could tell by putting one in and trying to boot.

??? Byteman

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice