1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need help with BSODs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by draynoadt, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. draynoadt

draynoadt Thread Starter

I'm getting various BSODs...my troubleshooting attempts have very yielded differing possible causes and solutions, so I'm hoping someone can put the pieces of the puzzle together for me. I've updated Windows, did 3 passes with memtest (no errors) updated all the drivers, run disk virus checks...

I've attached the Blue Screen View report with the last 7 BSODs.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  3. draynoadt

draynoadt Thread Starter

Like I said I did 3 passes with memtest, no errors. I also tried the in built Windows memory diagnostic, no errors. It would appear to be the memory but I don't think it is.

I'm wondering if it might be the graphics card- I was using an Nvidia card for awhile, but recently swapped in an AMD card...The MB is an EVGA X58.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    MemTest 86+ needs at least 7 passes, three is not enough. Windows built in memory tester isn't that good.

5. draynoadt

draynoadt Thread Starter

Just spent 18 hours memtesting- I tested each stick individually and all 3 slots, no errors....Any other ideas?

I'm wondering if it could actually be Firefox that's causing the problem. I'm only using like 10 extensions, but it can be buggy.

6. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Some reasons for Blue Screens
    New hardware - software installed.
    Device driver - Video driver - corrupted - faulty.
    Faulty Ram - Overheating - Dying hard drive etc.
    ======
    Hard drive test.
    SeaTools for DOS tutorial - ISO to CD
    http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en?language=en_US
    ======
    Overheating.
    http://www.piriform.com/speccy
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
    ======
    Check Device Manager
    Click Start button >Run > Type
    devmgmt.msc

Drivers may need updating - always go to the manufacturers website for any needed drivers.
    ======
    Post the Minidump files
    Create a new folder on the desktop and call it dumpfiles [or something similar]

Look in c:\windows\minidump
    Copy the last 4 minidump files to that folder.
    Close the folder and right click on it and select Send To Compressed [zipped] Folder.
    Windows will compress the file and then save the new zipped file in the same location.
    Use the 'manage attachments' in the 'Go Advanced' reply window below to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

7. draynoadt

draynoadt Thread Starter

Thanks, I think I found the culprit, but if not I'll try those later. I think it was the graphics card. Or the software for the new AMD card was conflicting with the old Nvidia software. I switched cards back, and the bsods have stopped.

8. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Ok - keep us updated.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice