1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need help with buyin a new pc or buildin

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by foamy2, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foamy2

foamy2 Thread Starter

i wanna get somthing fast dual core probly but dont know whats a good pc to buy. i been thinkin bout buildin one but dont know whats compadible with what. i want somthing fats but not spend too much on it.

2. Wino

Wino

How will your computer be used and how much do you want to spend?

Just finished building an obsolete socket 939 AMD 4400 Dual Core and cost me about $850.00 for case tower (Antec 900), MoBo (ASUS A8N-SLI Premium), hardware (DVD & DVD-RW, Multi-Card Reader, 2-Seagate 160GB SATA, GEForce 8600GT, Athlon 4400 64X2 CPU and Ultra 500W PSU) and XP OS. If I add in an HDTV card w/PVR add another $100+. Already had monitor, KB & mouse, speakers and 120MM fan I added to case cover fan slot.

You can go buy an off the shelf unit with all the goodies, probably including a printer package for much less. Only draw back IMHO is you will have to take Vista as the OS if you buy from a Fry's , Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. If you buy online, you can still get some Dell, Gateway (& some others) with XP.

Also, take a look at TigerDirect.com they have some refurbished units that can be quite a good buy (I've bought a couple of MCE refurbished Gateways that have been very good and trouble free). Tiger also has some bare bones units that can save you some money, but most times their cases suck on many of these IMHO. OS's will vary from XP Home, Pro and several versions of Vista.

Another inexpensive way to get a good system is to buy one of the off the shelf units and after warranty expires, gut it and install in a better case, add better graphics, larger PSU, etc. I've done this a few times too, while ditching their recovery CD/OS and installing a true copy of Windows of my flavor and current (98SE-to-XP).

Whatever you decide, enjoy.(y)

3. xico

xico

You can get XP Pro thru pricegrabber.com quite reasonably, sometimes less than 80 bucks . . . with comparison shopping. Or 98 if that pleases you. :D

I agree with Wino. Tiger has some very good buys, plus they send out a daily sale sheet so you can watch for a good deal.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice