1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with connecting to satellite internet with a laptop.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ZorlinStarre, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ZorlinStarre

ZorlinStarre Thread Starter

I'm being forced by my location to go with satellite internet if I want to upgrade from my current dialup. I've checked with everybody I can think of - I have yet to find any company that will give us anything faster than dialup.

I know next to nothing about laptops or wireless though. I'd like to be able to use my laptop with satellite internet without having to run an ethernet cord to it, thus rendering it no more useful than a desktop. The question is, what do I need to do that? I've been told it can be done, but no one will elaborate. On trying to look into it myself I quickly got bogged down in wireless routers, wireless switches, wireless bridges, wireless adapters, wireless access points... And no real explanation of what the difference between all of them is.

Short version, I need to know what piece of equipment I need to buy to do the above. The satellite modem connects to a computer with an ethernet line, according to the satellite ISP's info. I need to take that and make it wireless so my laptop (And desktop with a wireless NIC,) can take advantage of it.

And, considering how craptastic it seems to be, I should probably mention I'm on Vista. I've been bitten in the arse by '...Wait, you're on Vista? You need this then, and maybe an XP disc...' enough times, I mention it by default now.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, how about posting this from the wired connection directly to the satellite modem, that will give us information to proceed.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. ZorlinStarre

ZorlinStarre Thread Starter

Nono, it's not that I'm having trouble with the connection. I don't even have the satellite internet yet, I'm just trying to get everything I'll need once I do have it. I'm trying to be as clear as I can, I just don't know enough about what I'm talking about to clearly relay my problem, I guess.

But as I understand it, the satellite ISP provides a satellite and a satellite modem, which then connects to your computer's NIC with an ethernet line in order to provide access.

I've been told that I can easily plug the line from the satellite modem into some piece of equipment that will let all the computers in my home use the connection wirelessly. However, they did not elaborate on that information, leaving me confused what I would need in order to do that. I know nothing about networking, I've lived my life on dialup and all I ever needed to know was, 'Phone line goes here'. So I don't know what piece of equipment I need to do that - a router, bridge, access point, adapter, switch... There's a lot of things out there that sound like what I'm looking for but I can't tell the difference between them to know which I need.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You want a broadband wireless router, sometimes called Cable/DSL wireless router. It will include an ethernet port to connect to the modem, probably 4 ethernet ports to connect to computers, printers, etc., and a wireless access point.

Here are some examples. I am not suggesting that is the best place to purchase one, nor recommending any one of those, just offering some examples.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Just a note:

Satellite systems are set up in such a way that the "ethernet in" port on the router is not the connection that is used between the modem and the router. The modem connects to one of the standard "ethernet out" ports and nothing connects to the "in" port. The modem is set up as a member of the network that provides DNS. You will never get it working if you try to use the "in" port.

But...if you can find specific directions for your router, use those.

A router will work (if most of its features are diabled), but a hub may be a better idea.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I see no reason why a router will not work with satellite service. Even if the service is supplying a private IP address the only complication is the possible need to change the router's LAN subnet. And I don't understand how a hub will act as a wireless access point. :)

7. JohnWill

One of the reasons I wanted to see an IPCONFIG /ALL was to see what the characteristics of the satellite was. It would tell us if we could use a switch or we'll need a router.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Remember that ZorlinStarre wants wireless, so a wireless AP of some type is needed.

9. JohnWill

He may be getting wireless with the satellite service, hard to know. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/939983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice