1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help with Desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by evilroad, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evilroad

evilroad Thread Starter

When I first started the computer, videos on YouTube or Twitch would cause the system to freeze, and I had to manually turn the computer off. I tried to update the BIOS of my Gigabyte Z97 SLI through @BIOS app, but now Windows will not boot. I have tried fresh installs of Windows 8.1, reinstalling the BIOS in the boot up screen through Q-Flash, and used the Startup Repair Tool (which does nothing but tell me that the problem can't be fixed with Startup Repair). I am able to start Windows with Safe Mode, but that's it.

*BASE_PRICE: [+1139]
    BLUETOOTH: None
    CABLE: None
    CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
    CARE2: Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
    CARE3: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
    CAS: Corsair Obsidian 750D w/ USB 3.0, Full Side Panel Window [+13]
    CASUPGRADE: None
    CD: LG 14X Internal Blu-ray Burner, BD-RE, 3D Playback DVD+RW Combo Drive (Black Color)
    CD2: None
    COOLANT: Standard Coolant
    CPU: Intel(R) CoreĀ™ i7-4790K 4.0 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 (All Venom OC Certified)
    CS_FAN: Enermax TB Silence UCTB14 140mm Performance Cooling with Low Noise Profile Fan [+39]
    DOCKINGSTATION: None
    ENGRAVING: Custom Message - Max 35 characters (including spaces) [+9] (Times New Roman Italic)
    ENGRAVING_MSG: Property of Tristan Greeno
    FA_HDD: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System [+21] (1 x System)
    FAN: Cooler Master V8 GTS - High Performance CPU Cooler with Horizontal Vapor Chamber and 8 Heatpipes [+58]
    FLASHMEDIA: None
    FREEBIE_TB: None
    GLASSES: None
    HD_M2SATA: None
    HDD: 4TB (4TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+108] (Single Drive)
    HDD2: None
    HEADSET: HyperX Cloud Pro-Gaming Headset - Black w/ Detachable Microphone [+78]
    HS_HANGER: None
    IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    KEYBOARD: AZZA Delta Gaming Keyboard w/ Anti-Ghosting & red backlight
    MB_SRT: None
    MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (G.SKILL Ripjaws X [+24])
    MONITOR: None
    MOPAD: None
    MOTHERBOARD: * GIGABYTE Z97X-SLI ATX w/ Intel GbLAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 2 PCI, 1 x M.2, 1 x SATA Express, or 6x SATA 6Gb/s (Extreme OC Certified)
    MOUSE: AZZA Alpha 1600 DPI Gaming Mouse
    NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    NFC: None
    NOISEREDUCE1: Sound Absorbing Foam on Side, Top And Bottom panels [+29]
    NOISEREDUCE2: Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]
    OVERCLOCK: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 15% or more) [+39]
    POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts - Corsair RM1000 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Fully Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply [+81]
    RUSH: Standard Process Time: Ship within 8 Business Day
    SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    SPEAKERS: None
    TEMP: NZXT Sentry LX Aluminum Performance Fan Controller & Temperature Display [+59]
    TUNING: None
    TVRC: None
    USBFLASH: None
    USBHD: None
    USBX: None
    VIDEO: AMD Radeon R9 295X2 Dual GPUs 8GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card [+352] (Single Card (Dual GPU))
    WNC: GIGABYTE GC-WB867D-I 802.11AC Wi-Fi up to 867 Mbps + Bluetooth 4.0 Combo w/ Dual Antenna PCI-E Adapter
    WTV: None
    _PRICE: (+2106)

2. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

i think if it were me, i would have left the bios alone, but this does nothing for you now. i looked at the website for the computer you have and i think i would use the dos bios utility, and maybe try it again. if it doesn't take, you will need to either replace the chip on the motherboard or the whole motherboard. and it also looks like reflashing the bios is not covered under the warranty. i found some good information here and here. good luck with it, the chip is about $14, the motherboard is around $125. just for future reference, in almost all cases you should not touch the bios of a computer that boots.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If this was a bad Bios flash the computer wouldn't POST never mind get to Safe Mode. Also that Gigabyte motherboard has 2 bios chips, you can restore the 1st one from the 2nd one.

I think it's more likely to be a problem with the Graphics card, try re-installing it's drivers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146379

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice