need help with direct serial port networking...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rooney88

hi guys,

i have an old computer which is running on Windows 98 SE. However, the cd drive doesnt work anymore, so i can't even connect to the internet since the modem driver requires installation from a disc as well. I've been thinking of using a serial cable to connect my old computer and my current one which is running on XP Pro so that i can transfer some of my files to the old one.

However, i'm not sure if it will work i.e. connecting an XP to a 98SE. And if it works, can anyone give me a general idea of how to set up the network and the procedure of the file transfer e.g. speed.

cheers,
mui

p.s. don't bother suggesting to try ethernet network or buying an external cd drive cos I don't want to waste money on those. they r pretty expensive...not worth a try.:rolleyes:

And can anyone tell me what is a cross over cable? is it another method to link up the two computers?

rooney88

thanx guys for the prompt reply.

however, is the cd drive which costs $11 an in built one or an external one? cos i'm using 2 notebooks, so only an external one will work for me.

and also, if it is an external one, it would require a driver installation first, so it wouldnt work either since the installation requires a disc, would it?

cheers,
mui

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
OK, the fact that they're notebooks would have been useful information. :)

rooney88

so would it be safe to say the only way out of this "mess" is by either ethernet or serial port networking?

I have the same need. Transfer files serially from an old 98SE. I have tried some of the MS stuff but of course it does not work. If you only have a few files to transfer you can use HyperTerminal file transfer. Just set up the terminal on both PCs. You will need a serial crossover cable, aka null modem aka file transfer cable.
I would still like to find a free ware transfer utility. Anyone!

TerryNet

Terry
"... so that i can transfer some of my files to the old one."

You're going to use the old laptop as a second disk drive? If so, doubt that the data would be very safe, and the whole deal probably not worth the effort. But StumpedTechy and harem131 have pointed the way if you want to proceed.

Other considerations that you haven't mentioned, and perhaps haven't thought of:

Does the old laptop have a floppy? If so, you could use that to install a modem driver (that you get from the internet with the new laptop). Don't have floppy on new PC? Maybe you know somebody who still can write floppies who would help you out. Or somebody who can loan you an external floppy drive.

If the floppy method works to get a driver to the old PC, and if the old PC has a USB port, consider a USB flash drive (or, as I call them, memory stick). Prices have fallen recently; I just bought a 1 GigaByte for $40 after rebate and you can get 256 MB for about 1/2 that.

OK OK We all know there are better ways yada yada yada.
But over the years I have always had a need to want to transfer some files using direct connect serial. ANNNNND is usually had to do with OS upgrades etc.. An my experience has been that MS has supplied the direct connect function but they were always different with the new OS and not compatible. At least with my limited knowledge.
An earlier post from Stumptechy had an interesting link. Good info but I was still unsuccesful. I can serially connect with Hyperterminal. But that is not the way to go for I have a lot of stuff to xfer.
So all you techys can lecture about this serial connection not being the way to do it but the challenge is Can it be done? And is anyone up for the challenge?

TerryNet

Terry
"An earlier post from Stumptechy had an interesting link. Good info but I was still unsuccesful."

I don't know anything about the particulars of serial port networking, but I inferred from that link that once you had the null modem cable in place and the "Direct Cable Connection" component installed, the rest was pretty much like the file and printer sharing that gets discussed here every day. I didn't see any mention of HyperTerminal in the article.

Did you try setting up file and printer sharing? If so, manually or via Wizard and what went wrong?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online