1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with E-mail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DarrinSav, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DarrinSav

DarrinSav Thread Starter

Hello Everyone, This is my situation; I hope u can help, I use Hotmail to get and send all my e-mail, around a month ago now I got a virus due to opening a e-mail that came from someone or something named Morpheus(can't remember the exact name at this moment), not very smart of me to open the e-mail but I did and it froze my OS the next morning, my virus protection caught the virus but not until it was to late, I ended up having to re-boot into safe mode and restore my computer back to factory settings and after a couple of virus scans i was able to get rid of the virus but then it took me 2 days to re-apply everything and set my system back to the way it was before the virus. So, this is my question: I use MSN explorer as my browser for the internet and I use Hotmail for my E-mail, I have Mcafee virus scan 6.0 installed as my virus protection, I need help (suggestions) to help make sure that all my e-mails are being scanned for viruses before I take a chance opening them, I've checked the settings for my Virus protection and Internet connections and set them to what I think is the correct settings but all I can find is making setting for OE, i can't seem to find anything for Hotmail. I'm not sure where to go from here, my OS is windows XP home edition and i'm connected to the internet by a cable modem.

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

3. Deke40

Deke40

You should be double protected as Hotmail uses McAffee also.

4. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Hotmail doesn't provide POP3 support and therefore Anti Virus softwares like Norton AV, AVG, etc. will not scan incoming Hotmail messages. You may need to switch over to some POP3 based e-mail account to enable scanning of incoming mail messages. That way they will be scanned even before they appear in Preview Pane.

There are many free POP3 based e-mail available that give you more space than hotmail. Select any one of them depending on your use.

5. bassetman

Another idea is to disable the preview window. That way you can delete the obvious SPAM without ever having it open.

6. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Even if you disable preview pane, the mail will be downloaded when you SYNCHRONISE the folders. All that happens is that they don't get displayed untill you open them. :rolleyes:

7. bassetman

It is my understanding that when you preview it, it has been opened. I've had virui problems from doing that which is why I have disabled preview.
    If I need to view the contents of a suspect email is to highlight it, click Proeperties/Detail/Message Source. From there I can view the text without opening any malicious files.

I haven't had any problems using this method.

John

8. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

bassetman said ...

You are absolutely right buddy. But then what you are talking about is malicious JavaScript code or VBScript code.

But what if the attachment has a virus? No Anti-Virus software will check attachment when you use Hotmail in Outlook Express :( :mad: :rolleyes:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice