Need help with error 0xc0000135

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Janelle1

I desperately need help. Running windows 10. Cannot run your utility, as I cannot get in. All was well until last auto update. Next time I started computer, I have error 0xc0000001, then 0xc0000135. I am able to get to recovery environment. If I hit continue to windows 10, it loops back to that 135 error code. Start up repair says cannot repair. Tried system restore with available restore points. Did not work and restore points then disappeared. Tried uninstall updates. Quality update said it was uninstalled, feature update could not. No change. System imagine recovery says there is no image.
Afraid of losing files, trying to copy somehow. Used notepad and xcopy but there was nothing copying.
Made a USB of media creation tool. Tried repair, but it said it could not. Tried to install, with keep my files. It said it cannot upgrade unless I can log into windows which I cannot. I did not try the custom install choice yet because I’m afraid of losing all my personal files, and I’m not sure how to do it.
I’m at a complete loss and very stressed out. Can anyone help me figure out how to save my personal files somehow, and then reinstall windows? I really need the help! Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello, first error code doesn't tell much on it's own, but second one means there are some DLL's missing which prevent system to boot, or that system is damaged beyond simple repair.

C-like:
PS C:\tools> .\err* 0xc0000135
# for hex 0xc0000135 / decimal -1073741515
  STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND                                           ntstatus.h
# The code execution cannot proceed because %hs was not
# found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
# as an HRESULT: Severity: FAILURE (1), FACILITY_NULL (0x0), Code 0x135
# for hex 0x135 / decimal 309
  ERROR_NOTIFICATION_GUID_ALREADY_DEFINED                        winerror.h
# The specified file already has a notification GUID
# associated with it.
# 2 matches found for "0xc0000135"
You said none of the options with installation media worked so far, so according to this, your job is to back up data and reinstall Windows.

To back up data from unstable system using command prompt see this thread for reference:
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blue-screen-and-registry-problems.1246872/
If you have additional questions about backing up data, feel free to ask.

Once you're sure your data is safe on external disk and no longer attached to computer, perform clean installation, see bellow tutorial on how to do it:
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/doing-a-completely-clean-reinstall-of-windows-10.1235377/

Janelle1

I
Hello, first error code doesn't tell much on it's own, but second one means there are some DLL's missing which prevent system to boot, or that system is damaged beyond simple repair.

C-like:
PS C:\tools> .\err* 0xc0000135
# for hex 0xc0000135 / decimal -1073741515
  STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND                                           ntstatus.h
# The code execution cannot proceed because %hs was not
# found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
# as an HRESULT: Severity: FAILURE (1), FACILITY_NULL (0x0), Code 0x135
# for hex 0x135 / decimal 309
  ERROR_NOTIFICATION_GUID_ALREADY_DEFINED                        winerror.h
# The specified file already has a notification GUID
# associated with it.
# 2 matches found for "0xc0000135"
You said none of the options with installation media worked so far, so according to this, your job is to back up data and reinstall Windows.

To back up data from unstable system using command prompt see this thread for reference:
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blue-screen-and-registry-problems.1246872/
If you have additional questions about backing up data, feel free to ask.

Once you're sure your data is safe on external disk and no longer attached to computer, perform clean installation, see bellow tutorial on how to do it:
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/doing-a-completely-clean-reinstall-of-windows-10.1235377/
I’m not sure what I’m doing...copy c to d?
(sorry I’m so green)

Attachments

Last edited:
The destination drive D may not be large enough to backup C
Once you listed partitions with diskpart and lis vol you need to type exit and press enter.

You saw in reference thread that copying entry system is both not easy to do nor it is required,
and also you need large enough destination which you don't have obviously.

Do you know the paths where you data is on C drive?
If yes please share them, example paths that may be of interest are:

C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Documents
C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Pictures

etc. but only you know where your data is.
If you want to review disk contents to recall where your data is, here is copy/paste from the thread:

To find your personal data, you use following commands:

1. To navigate to C partition
C:
2. To list directories in current location
DIR
3. To go forward into some directory
cd "some directory"
4. To go back one directory
cd ..

Let me know once you're sure you have all the paths that contain your valuable data.

EDIT:
I see you removed your post, probably you found a solution. :unsure:

Janelle1

Once you listed partitions with diskpart and lis vol you need to type exit and press enter.

You saw in reference thread that copying entry system is both not easy to do nor it is required,

If you want to review disk contents to recall where your data is, here is copy/paste from the thread:

C:
DIR
cd "some directory"
cd ..

Let me know once you're sure you have all the paths that contain your valuable data.

EDIT:
I edited the picture to show the D drive with a external hard drive, not the flash drive. I’ve been trying your commands. The first two were access denied. The third is working right now..but taking time. I’m not sure how to double check that all files will be there. I’m hoping you can keep giving me advice. I’m really hopeful this is working, and grateful to you. (I read your reply only after I started the copy, so it’s copying huge amounts of everything at the moment, and I have no idea if my files are in there)

Janelle1

C:
DIR
cd "some directory"
cd ..

EDIT:
I hope my editing the post didn’t remove it, and I hope you‘re still here to give me a hand once this monster copy stops. :)

I’m not sure how to double check that all files will be there.
To be 100% sure, once copying is done, you need to detach you external hard drive and attach it to another functioning computer, then use windows explorer to check your stuff is there and nothing is missing.

Let's hope it doesn't fail 🙂

EDIT:
In any case you don't want this backup drive to be attached to trouble PC while doing windows reinstall, to prevent accidental reformat. that would be fatal mistake 🙁

Janelle1

To be 100% sure, once copying is done, you need to detach you external hard drive and attach it to another functioning computer, then use windows explorer to check your stuff is there and nothing is missing.

Let's hope it doesn't fail 🙂

EDIT:
In any case you don't want this backup drive to be attached to trouble PC while doing windows reinstall, to prevent accidental reformat. that would be fatal mistake 🙁
thank you so much, I’ve borrowed a laptop so I’ll be able to check. Seems like it might be a very long copying time though, but I’ve got fingers and toes crossed. Lol Very grateful for the help!!

Janelle1

Sure, no problem.
It finally stopped, and said insufficient memory, but also said 177 000 files copied, but there is nothing copied in the external drive.
That drives has 4TB of space, so it has to be sufficient. What did I do wrong?

I'm sorry to hear this, according to wikipedia:
XCOPY fails with an "insufficient memory" error when the path plus filename is longer than 254 characters[12] and moving large files without the "/J" option (available only after Server 2008R2) can consume all available RAM on a system.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XCOPY

It looks like both 'xcopy' and 'robocopy' use system memory for copying.

I think you'll have to do it little by little, instead of all at once.

Use following command to list C root directories (assuming C is system partition):
Code:
dir C:\
Now copy each folder separately to backup directory on external drive to avoid memory exhaustion.

I already told you there is no point to copy things such as C:\Program Files unless you suspect your data could be there too.

Following is example command for single folder:
Code:
mkdir D:\backup
xcopy "C:\Users" D:\backup /E /C
You'll have to do this for each root folder on C drive if you want to copy entry system.
The command may fail if contents of one of these folders are too large to fit into system memory, in which case you'll have to copy subdirectories one by one.

To list subdirectories use:
Code:
dir "C:\Users"

Janelle1

I'm sorry to hear this, according to wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XCOPY

It looks like both 'xcopy' and 'robocopy' use system memory for copying.

I think you'll have to do it little by little, instead of all at once.

Use following command to list C root directories (assuming C is system partition):
Code:
dir C:\
Now copy each folder separately to backup directory on external drive to avoid memory exhaustion.

I already told you there is no point to copy things such as C:\Program Files unless you suspect your data could be there too.

Following is example command for single folder:
Code:
mkdir D:\backup
xcopy "C:\Users" D:\backup /E /C
You'll have to do this for each root folder on C drive if you want to copy entry system.
The command may fail if contents of one of these folders are too large to fit into system memory, in which case you'll have to copy subdirectories one by one.

To list subdirectories use:
Code:
dir "C:\Users"
Giving it a try...thanks for hanging in with me

Janelle1

I’ve managed to copy my personal files by doing it in smaller chunks. (so happy!!). Trying to go through everything and double check and also make note of programs and apps. Was wondering..if I install again, if I choose to keep personal files only, will I still get a clean enough installation, or should I just wipe it all?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online