Need help with errors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jet958

My system locked up and on restart it gives the Windows cannot load because the system32 config file is missing or corrupt. I have been through all the windows support for redoing the corrupt registry stuff and it didn't work. So i bit the bullet and did a full reformat...except now i cannot load XP at all it keeps saying the harddrive is corrupt or damaged and cannot be repaired. I take the same harddrive and put it in an old system and XP formats just fine. I have changed drives, video card, swapped memory and everthing I could try to isolate another problem with no luck. Is this possibly a motherboard or CPU gone bad? I have tried to reformat several other hard drives and it gives the harddrive is damaged and cannot be repaired however they all will install fine in the other system. I used different cables and different slots on the motherboard with no change....Guessing I need a new motherboard or CPU?

dustyjay

Jay
I could be that you have a bad IDE Controller on your motherboard. if you have access to a pci IDE Controller card you can try that and see if it fixes the problem. Or you can try to connect your ide hard drive to the same controller cable that your optical drive is on.

Jet958

I tried to use the same IDE cable the optical drive is on with no luck. A local friend at a computer repair store tried the PCI approach and he got an error that he said he had never seen happen...think it was some sort of Trap error or something. The optical drive seems to be working as it boots the XP disk and starts the install process. Im ready for an upgrade anyway so i dont really mind ordering the new cpu and motherboard but dont wont to get it and have the same problem. Is it possible for power supply or memory to cause something like this even though I have swapped out all three sticks of memory out at different times so seems if it could all three would have to be bad.

Clear CMOS and try again.

Check your motherboard manual for proper procedure.

JF

Jet958

The Asus webpage says the CMOS resets when u reset the computer....another thing i noticed is the reset button doenst seem to be resetting the computer now crazy stuff happening....

That may well be, but there should be an alternative method such as a jumper scheme or physically removing the battery for a minute or two.

dustyjay

Jay
Huh? You mean to say it is telling you tht everytie you press the reset button it resets the CMOS? There for you will have to make your settings for Hard drives detection and everything like that each time you use the reset button? I dont think that is what they are saying, but if you give a link to the page where you read that we can check it out.

Also please explain Crazy stuff happening. Crazy stuff covers a whole lot of territory.

Jet958

Well it was talking about clearing the CMOS after a hang up forom overclocking so im not sure I was thinking the same thing about restarting...i took the battery out and will leave it our for a while to see. I just cannot get any of the 4 hard drives to repair install or anything because it always says the disk is corrupt or damaged but still I manage to load XP on each one of them in another computer and run them fine.

Jet958

The motherboard is an Asus A7V8X-X and the reset info came from an Asus page claiming no more need to open the case to reset the CMOS after a hang up from OC'ing

Jet958

Well i took the battery out of the motherboard for a while and then tried to install XP to a blank hard drive. To my surprise it loaded just fine. Im running on the troubled machine now and everything seems to be fine. The bad news...I tried to load XP on my other hard drive that I have been using and I cannot even boot from the CD when that hard drive is connected. I tried to boot from the Maxtor CD and it doesnt even recognize that I have a Maxtor hard drive in the machine. The Maxtor drive seems to be keeping anything from working right. Bad hard drive I guess?

That's great that you had some good results. I kind of lost track of where the Maxtor fits in but I would check the jumper settings, cable position(s) and channels before throwing the towel in.

On the other issue, remember that you've cleared CMOS, so that means that your machine has been returned to safe and conservative settings. You will want to go into BIOS and make the appropriate changes so that your machine is running at its full, design potential.

Carefully follow your mobo manual and use Everest Home, Sandra, or CPU-Z to verify the results.

Good Luck,
JF
Try a Seagate next time :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online