1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with floppies

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johncarr82, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johncarr82

johncarr82 Thread Starter

In 1995 I bought a Packard Bell Legend using Windows 3.11. My son, at that time, was not in the US and e-mailed me frequently. He asked if I would store his e-mails, something like a diary as it was a record of what he was doing. Not wanting to accumulate a massive file I put them on floppies. He is now at an APO address and has requested that I send them to him on CD's. No problem with that except six of these floppies refuse to open on my HP Pavillion using XP. The error message comes up as, "this disk has not been formatted."

I still have the old computer which my daughter upgraded to Windows 95, and it will open three of these floppies, three it will not, giving the error message, "unable to read from source." Problem: My CD burner is in the HP Pavillion, and cant copy them on the old Legend. I understand that when you format (re-format) a disk it erases all the data on it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to opening these floppies? Thanks very much for any help.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Try several different computers - maybe the older the better. If you can open any of the disks then copy them to that computer and then copy them to a new good floppy disk or email them to yourself and then take them to the computer that has the burner to put onto CD.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Oh, and formating does remove the data of the disk so don't do that, it'll make it harder to get the files off.

4. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

Something to try. Do a Google search for a small free program called Flopshow, it is a file recovery program for floppys.

5. brite750

brite750

This is a long shot, but do these disks have a hole in both lower corners or just one?

6. johncarr82

johncarr82 Thread Starter

Antec, there are two square holes. One open all the time and the other with a slide that can be opened or closed. John

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice